Tuniq TX-3 spreading technique

PruritusAni

Hmm I may have to get myself a tube of this mx2 stuff and give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestions.

personally i find mx-2 is too viscous to spread properly using a card of razor, so if you're looking to try that method i'd use something else. besides, tx-2 has been shown to give slightly better performance. haven't used it yet but i imagine tx-3 is is even better.

these days i always use the line method as suggested by arctic cooling. if you use a razor i suppose you might be able to do it perfectly sometimes, but if there are any uneven points in the surface of the compound you'll be trapping air in there when the heatsink hits it.

I've read that TX-3 is even thicker and harder to spread than TX-2, good luck to the OP!!

Hehe I already got the thing on there, I just wanted to give people what I thought was the only way to effectively get a good coat of tx3 on there.

these days i always use the line method as suggested by arctic cooling. if you use a razor i suppose you might be able to do it perfectly sometimes, but if there are any uneven points in the surface of the compound you'll be trapping air in there when the heatsink hits it.

I don't usually spread my thermal compound with any technique if it's fluid enough. My previous experience has consisted only of AS5 and that can easily be drawn into a thin line which then gets spread evenly by just mounting the heatsink. The tx3 however has the consistency of dry play-doh and I just felt compelled to spread it on the processor. I eventually got a nice layer using my rolling pin method, but it still took a while.

personally i find mx-2 is too viscous to spread properly using a card of razor, so if you're looking to try that method i'd use something else. besides, tx-2 has been shown to give slightly better performance. haven't used it yet but i imagine tx-3 is is even better.

Anyone else second the tx3 better that mx2? To further complicate matters I found this thermal compound showdown. And reading through that I am very tempted to put AS5 on my processor again. I used it on it before and I'm pretty sure I have mastered its application by now.

-use noctua compound instead of arctic silver.

-DO NOT SPREAD YTOURSELF WITH ANYTHING, that will only create bubbles.

-one horizontal line works best. barring that, a two rice grain sized blob.

all spreading happens by heatsink!

• 9 months later...

God that story made me ROFL i had the EXACT same experiance then i found the PERFECT SOLUTION

Ready for this !!!!!!

PUT THE TX-3 ON A RAD FOR 5 MINS on medium heat as it heats it gets real easy to spread (thats what i found anyhow). When its cold spreading it becomes very tacky and comes off again.

Edited by TheNutzRutz