Sign in to follow this  
SnooSnooKachu

Sound Blaster X-Fi driver causing bsod

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum installed on my computer, and everything has been working fine for the 2 years I've owned it. Recently, every time I shut down and start up my computer I get a bsod stating SYSTEM_EXITED_OWNED_MUTEX and it refuses to boot unless I go into safe mode. After some looking in the event viewer, the first error that appeared was caused by my sound card driver. As soon as I uninstalled it, I could boot in regular mode again. I tried reinstalling the driver and it survives the restart that is required afterward, but if I shut it down completely I get the BSOD again. Could this be caused by the sound card going bad? I've been running Windows 7 since it launched and haven't had any problems like this.

Edited by SnooSnooKachu

Hrmm.. from what I can tell to me it looks like a faulty driver to be honest. Either due to a bug, or for some reason is no longer compatible to windows 7.. maybe due to an update?

I would suggest, uninstalling the driver/software for the Sound Blaster card - Going to there website, and seeing if they have a new updated version for windows 7.

Make sure you get 32 or 64bit depending on what vers. of windows you are using.

If they do not have a current/updated driver. I would suggest emailing Sound Blaster.

Full Title

SYSTEM_EXIT_OWNED_MUTEX

Stop Code

0x00000039

Type

Fatal

Windows

2000, XP, Vista, 2008, 7

Vendor

Microsoft Corporation

Did a little searching: I noticed people have linked this error to their audio and video.

So I would also suggest, getting the latest video card drivers as well. Then see what happens.

Other then that, I am not sure... Does your Motherboard have On-board sound? You could always remove the SB card until you could afford a new one.

When I tried reinstalling the drivers I downloaded the latest from Creative's website, but no luck with those. In my search for a solution, I did come across someone having a similar issue being caused by a conflict with ATI's HDMI audio drivers, so I installed the latest drivers for my video cards. Still no luck with that.

bp9801 - Where did you get those drivers? I just installed them and it's pretty slick having everything wrapped up into one installer. I'll know in a few days if those drivers fix the issue.

This guy at another site makes them and distributes them. Does a ton of tweaking and fixing to the base Creative drivers and releases whole sets for all the various Creative cards. If it works, then I'd say to just keep using those lol. Lots of people like them and most don't have any issues. If you still get an issue, you can always try the Daniel_K sets but I think the PAX drivers I linked should work out fine.

Bad news, I'm afraid. I got that same BSOD again today. I had to uninstall the sound driver to boot into Windows. I'll try to find those Daniel_K drivers, but I think something else is the issue here. Does the fact that my sound card is sandwiched between my 2 4890 video cards mean anything? I didn't think heat would be an issue, considering there is a 120mm fan on the side of my case blowing fresh air onto it.

Is there another spot that could fit the card? It could be an issue of interference or something like that. Try to move the card into another slot and see if it still happens.

I just became sick of using the onboard audio, so I moved the card out from between the video cards and put it in the only other slot I could, which is right above the two cards. It has been working for about a day now, so let's see what happens. Thanks for all the help, guys!

sound card could be going bad

but if your card is old the drivers might not work properly on vista/windows7

as you have probably know, creative purposely disabled their older cards from working with vista

have you tried the alternative drivers yet instead of just the creative ones?

maybe disable the hdmi out sound in the sound control panel of windows 7 see if that helps

and dont put the card near ur GPU if it gets real hot