AMD's REAL answer to GeForce GTX 480

road-runner

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I imagine it falling between the 5970 and 5870 in performance, but close to the 5970 in price. Not a good spot to be in for team green, but its not the end of the world. I'm sure they have already started on their next project.

Inevitable? IMO the 480 has waaayyy too many transistors and looks to run way too hot to ever squeeze two onto one PCB. We will more likely see a card labeled as a 49X but in reality be dual GPUs of their mid range graphics chip, and only marginally faster then the 480 and probably STILL behind the 5970. I do not see nvidia bringing out a card, dual GPU or not, faster then the 5970 anytime soon.

Lol sorry but 2900pro was trash. Like stated, it was big, hot, and slow. It overclocked OK with aftermarket cooling, but it was nothing spectacular and stayed in the middle of the performance pack. I skipped that whole generation, and instead went with dual 512MB X1900XTs in crossfire(back in the crossfire dongle days instead of the bridge :lol:) which ran cooler and gave more performance.

Yeah I'm not saying price wont kill it and it's HIGHLY improbable that there will be a dual GPU version just defending the greenies while I can (for once they debut and charge what I know they're gonna charge...I'll be singing my old tune) :D

triple-slot cooler anyone? :blink:

triple-case cooler :rolleyes:

Inevitable? IMO the 480 has waaayyy too many transistors and looks to run way too hot to ever squeeze two onto one PCB. We will more likely see a card labeled as a 49X but in reality be dual GPUs of their mid range graphics chip, and only marginally faster then the 480 and probably STILL behind the 5970. I do not see nvidia bringing out a card, dual GPU or not, faster then the 5970 anytime soon.

to be fair nvidia has only ever released one dual GPU card on a single PCB so i would expect they are planning a "GX2" style variant if only to take the overall performance crown. besides, nobody really has the straight dope on fermi performance or heat output yet. going by your logic surely there would never have been a GTX295, yet it happened.

to be fair nvidia has only ever released one dual GPU card on a single PCB so i would expect they are planning a "GX2" style variant if only to take the overall performance crown. besides, nobody really has the straight dope on fermi performance or heat output yet. going by your logic surely there would never have been a GTX295, yet it happened.

lol what logic....fermi is HUUUUGE, there's no way to compare it with gt200/gt200b core. nvidia only was able to make it because of the nanometer shrink and even then they had to handicap it (not give it full memory bandwidth/memory amount).

Without a drastic shrink, I don't see another dual gpu possible, unless it's a really souped up gt200b core

lol what logic....fermi is HUUUUGE, there's no way to compare it with gt200/gt200b core.

GT200 was HUUUUGE compared to G92b, just like G80 was HUUUUGE compared to G70.

i guess there's a limit somewhere, but if nvidia comes up with some smart board design and good cooling i don't see why this card won't happen. the prestige of having the number one card in this market is almost more important than whatever profit they might make from said card, so even if it's too expensive and too hot, nvidia are probably going to do it anyway.

i guess there's a limit somewhere, but if nvidia comes up with some smart board design and good cooling i don't see why this card won't happen. the prestige of having the number one card in this market is almost more important than whatever profit they might make from said card, so even if it's too expensive and too hot, nvidia are probably going to do it anyway.

I agree with you, it is going to happen! However, I seriously doubt it is going to happen at 40nm...

Fermi is roughly 40% larger than Cypress... so lets say... 40% more peak power consumption. ATI had to downclock the 5970 to bring it within the PCI-Express specification so if NVIDIA launches a dual-GPU board at 40nm, it will not be a full fledged Fermi.

I agree with you, it is going to happen! However, I seriously doubt it is going to happen at 40nm...

Fermi is roughly 40% larger than Cypress... so lets say... 40% more peak power consumption. ATI had to downclock the 5970 to bring it within the PCI-Express specification so if NVIDIA launches a dual-GPU board at 40nm, it will not be a full fledged Fermi.

That is my point.

It will not be dual fermi's if they do - it is just not possible right now. Then, if they cripple the Fermis, the card will be too slow for what they would need to charge for it.

Look at what ATi had to do to confirm to spec - downclock the cards significantly below what they are capable of. The 5970 can run both cores at over 1ghz on stock cooling!!! Fermi is a HUGE die(yes, bigger then the difference between other gen GPUS), and will not play nice with another on its PCB. Even a hack-job dual PCB version would be a toss-up because they won't be able to fit a cooler between the two GPUs that can cool them both with one heatsink and fan.

The only way I see a dual Fermi card is if they share a waterblock.

Fermi=Prescott :lol:

You just need a good motherboard for it, and 2 cards... http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/evgas-w...old-seven-gpus/
That is a god damn beast of a motherboard...

:O

If I had the money I'd buy one, 24GB of memory, 2 CPUs, 6 single slot powerhouse graphics cards and a crap ton of monitors.

Eyefinity?

Baaaaah!

:lol:

12 monitors, here I come!

:D

only works with 6 core and up cpus because it requires dual qpi's :P not that it would matter if you had the money for that little girl.... bah ill take it to the next level ... 4 5870s watercooled by msi (super super overclockable editions) with 6 of the sapphire 56" monitors and have a resolution at 11520 x 4320 at

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc...;maincat_no=130

Edited by unknownuser200