AMD's REAL answer to GeForce GTX 480

road-runner

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even close. :lol: nVidia still rules supreme in the GPGPU arena (which gamers couldn't care less about but people/companies doing real work do).

Well, I think everyone knows that nVidia hardly makes a large profit because of its gaming video cards, but I also thought that everyone knew we were referring to gaming video cards by default when we're talking about Nvidia vs. ATI.

Edited by tkrow21

i don't think ATI has done the right thing by releasing all their cards so quickly before nvidia has released anything. To me nvidia has the upper hand at the momemnt. Because almost all ati's offerings are available atm nvidia has the power to delay future launches untill they make their cards "beat" ati's offerings (not soley on performance, but other features and price). All ATI will be able to do is cut prices which hurts profitability. the only thing i can potentially see left up their sleve is a 5890, the 5850x2 (or 5950) and the rumoured 5990. But if all these are released before nvidia even releases the 480 & 470 they will have nothing to answer to the later fermi cards (the fermi equivalent of the gtx 295, 275 etc)

Note: i'm not trying to sound like a fan boy for either side. im just looking to the future rather than the present. an obvious downisde to nvidia delaying and delaying their product more of the non fanboy public will shift to the ati side because they are available now which will hurt their sales etc.

What you're forgetting though is that ATI has a nex generation product (Northern Island) in development, while NVIDIA does not have a current generation part. We'll see how this plays out, but ATI delaying their launch wouldn't have made the 5000's automagically faster!

These cores take years to develop and the last 6 months or so aren't spent engineering features or adding stuff, they are spent between the fabs and the labs making sure everything works as planned. I have no doubt Fermi's been ready for a while, it's only a matter of building it!

here we go again....back an forth.... amd, nvidia, amd, nvidia....there ought a be another player in the game to spice it up a little

Last I heard Intel was trying but I don't know where that is or if It has been abandoned.