Fermi (G100) / GTX400 SERIES IS A FAILURE?

hosnappp

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70C at idle on the 2D clock.

The fans were reported to be running at 70 percent of maximum when idling

God I hope for Nvidia's sake that this is a load of BS, otherwise they are soooo heading for trouble.

nVidia has been a bag of cheap tricks lately. Their super secret announcement the other day was something they'd already told everyone months ago.

They're just getting worse and worse.

this article has to be the biggest piece of S*** I've ever seen. There is no way this can be true. The specs and architecture just don't allow this to be correct, I mean even the 295 can outperform the 5870 by about 5-10% or 20+% if it's Heavily optimized. Now, 60% does seem like a stretch, but it will definitely not be just 5%.

it idling at 70C also seems far fetched, unless that is the worst ventilated case ever

Look at the source. He has a nut for Nvidia and takes a jab as often as he can! Until we see concrete results and I see one in my paws I will reserve judgment for that time.

People can take jabs as much as they want. But this guy is posting these things on a credible website as fact. He may have a serious problem with nVidia as it would seem, but it's not to call him a liar. He's posted nothing but the truth in his other articles.

Man oh man, I gave up on Nvidia coming out with anything worth checking into and/or that would drop the prices of the 5800 series a bit. I picked up 2 4870 X2's the other day and I'm calling it done. I got a 9800GT from a buddy of mine that I may use for Physics with this setup if I feel the urge. I feel bad for Nvidia whether this is true or not. They haven't had any new "Beast" video cards come out in a while. Just rehashes of rehashed 9800GT. :(

People can take jabs as much as they want. But this guy is posting these things on a credible website as fact. He may have a serious problem with nVidia as it would seem, but it's not to call him a liar. He's posted nothing but the truth in his other articles.

Credible website? Uh, WOT?!

Never even heard of this POS site, and the layout of the site screams AMATEUR all the way.

Couple that with the fact that the guy even states that there are conflicting reports from his sources (if you're going to believe such sources actually exist), I fail to see how you can get worked up over such a garbage article.

This is from a site called "SemiAccurate", c'mon now :lol:.

Fermi will be a beast. Look at the hard stats and how long they have been working on it...I know "on paper" doesn't always transfer to real world performance, but you can still tell it will be a very powerful card. Not to mention folding will be productivity we have never even dreamed about before.

I would expect a Fermi 480 to be almost as quick as a 5970 in most cases - very fast, but not quick enough to take the crown. The problem is going to be with pricing. We all know how expensive Fermi HAS to be, due to the raw transistor count and R&D they have spent on it. They just can't afford to sell it at the price points they need to make it popular - ATi is in the unique spot to not only hold the performance crown, but also the much more important price:performance sweet spot.

Want further proof that the site and the author is not reputable?

As many of our readers have been discussing Charlie's recent article. There is some serious scuttlebutt going around about NVIDIA's market intentions. Here is what Charlie Demerjian lead with yesterday.

NVIDIA IS KILLING the GTX260, GTX275, and GTX285 with the GTX295 almost assured to follow as it (Nvidia: NVDA) abandons the high and mid range graphics card market. Due to a massive series of engineering failures, nearly all of the company's product line is financially under water, and mismanagement seems to be killing the company.

You can find the rest of the article here.

I have known Charlie for a long time and have shared time with him all over the globe, and I will say that there is almost always a basis of truth in his stories. That said, there is almost always a reach to dramatize and spin the article into line with what I think are personal motivations. Regardless of your opinion on this, I see what Charlie writes as "Tech Tabloid" and I think most of us will agree on this.

Headlines like Charlie is writing now should not go unanswered, so we asked NVIDIA for an official statement as to this topic so we could publish it for [H] readers, and here it is from Ken Brown at NVIDIA PR:

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for asking.

There is no truth to this. Charlie has become a sponsored site of his sole advertiser. It's no coincidence his website looks like an AMD ad.

Please let your readers know, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.

Wow. Don't think there is anything left to say on this. Enjoy.

Link.