Sign in to follow this  
GaiusMaxwell

No sound

I have the dreaded "no audio device" problem on my laptop.

The laptop is an Acer travelmate 6592 running windows xp profressional.

Over the past 2 days i have tried everything i could think of and everything that i could find on the net except a full reformat as i want to avoid that.

In the device manager under sound, video and game controllers it lists:

Audio codecs

Legacy Audio drivers

Legacy video capture devices

Media control devices

Video codecs

Under other devices it lists:

PCI device with a big yellow quest mark in front, i cant figure out what this is or if it has anything to do with my problem.

Basically there is no sound options in my tray, when i go into control panel, sound, everything is greyed out, everything, i cannot change default device, it just says "no playback device" and under volume it says "no audio device"

I have tried re-installing all the drivers directly from the acer website, i got the PC specs and downloaded drivers directly from intel and realtek, i checked windows services to make sure audio is set to auto and started, multiple different Audio driver re-installs and reboots, the intel chipset update and none of it has made a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanx,

Love

Something quick to try, assuming you have a legit copy of windows.

Uninstall whatever sound drivers you may currently have on the PC.

Windows Update:

Choose "Custom"

Let Windows search for updates for your PC, then Check "Hardware" on the left hand side.

It's possible you will see your sound card driver's sitting there waiting for you to install.

I have had to do this many times with laptop's I have had to reformat and had no clue what hardware was in the machine.

Something quick to try, assuming you have a legit copy of windows.

Uninstall whatever sound drivers you may currently have on the PC.

Windows Update:

Choose "Custom"

Let Windows search for updates for your PC, then Check "Hardware" on the left hand side.

It's possible you will see your sound card driver's sitting there waiting for you to install.

I have had to do this many times with laptop's I have had to reformat and had no clue what hardware was in the machine.

I have to thank you psywar.

It wasnt exactly what you said but it pushed me in the right direction, i did a windows update, did all the recommended stuff, reinstalled the chipset and audio drivers and now it all works fine.

I didnt even think to do a windows update because i thought the copy of xp pro i was using was SP3, turns out it was an old SP1 in an SP3 cd sleeve lol, but nonetheless, very grateful.

Driver updates usually always do it :) Nice to see it is working for you.

I had the right drivers the entire time, they were just incompatible in one way or another with XP pro SP1. So if anyone else has this problem, do a windows update and try reinstalling the drivers, it worked for me :D