Sign in to follow this  
Gaming Computer Newbie

1st Computer Gaming PC

Hey guys/girls

I am deciding to build my first gaming computer and have come up with a build myself. I will post it below I was just wondering if there was anything that is an overkill or a component that could be replaced for relativley the same price.

Here is what I have come up with.

Case - Antec 1200

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 DO Stepping

Motherboard - EVGA X58 SLI

Memory - OCZ 6GB PC3-12800 Reaper Low Voltage Triple Channel

Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 295 CO-OP FTW

Power Supply - Corsair HX750w

Hard Drive - WD Cavair Black 500GB

Optical Drive - Samsung (SH-S223L) DVD /- RW 22x - Black - Lightscribe (SATA)

Sound Card - Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

CPU Heatsink - Promilatech Megahalems With 2 Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control 120mm Fans

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

That is what im thinking of. If you have any ideas that could improve this build in any way with out adding much cost then please fire away. All feedback welcome. Hope to hear from you soon :)

Nice build for a start.

but will you be overclocking the processor?

If you are that Heatsink will dominate it at 4.0Ghz :)

Also i would reccomend looking into other fans for the heatsink

The thing is noctua fans are good quality. but the price is astounding

i would reccomend

Xilence XPF120R Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan

have a look

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....0-XI&tool=3

also will you quad sli

-Tri sli?

-or dual sli?

if not that psu is an overkill for the spec atm.

if not upgrading i would reccomend a modxtreme 600w psu

also a sound card you dont really need unless your a hardcore gamer(well i think)

use the money from the sound card and invest in a better graphics card

or some more hdd's

also use AS5 it will reduce cpu temps by around 10c

it is around

Definately go for an ATI card, much better performance right now from the new series. AS5 will not drop temps by 10C at all it's not even the best anymore MX-2 or MX-3 is now. But if your just gaming i'd look into an AMD build it'll be much cheaper and you'll never notice a difference.

Get an HD5850 and if the budget doesn't allow it, get a Phenom II X4 build with an HD5850.

Totally agree with Rocky about the soundcard. I have two gaming rigs, one with an Xtreme Gamer and one with a Fatality version. I did not hear considerable improvements comparing them to onboard audio to justify the cost. I would stick with onboard audio and put the cost of a soundcard for a better vid card. Both my soundcards are collecting dust. Try to google up a THX audio settings console application for your mobo, I did for my systems and they sound great.

Nice build for a start.

Hope This Helps :)

Hello Rockyeight,

Thanks for your feedback I do plan to overclock the CPU and to around 4.0 Ghz. I have been looking at the Xilence XPF120R Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan and they look like a great money saver without losing any performance. I will definitely consider buy Xilence instead of Nocturna fans. I do plan to tri or mabey quad sli in the future but I am now looking back into ATI and AMD. I could save alot of money on the cpu if i go with AMD but havent worked with many AMD cpu's. what do you think would be better? AMD and crossfire or Intel and SLI? i know thats a question that could be argued for years but im thinking about current cpu's and video cards.

Thank you all for your feedback and please keep it coming :) i really want to made this build kickass! lol :)

if you're looking for gaming performance, you won't see a big hit from going over to an amd cpu, and right now, the ati gpus are crazy fast

As a gaming enthusiast myself, take it from me - you will NOT notice the difference between an INTEL and AMD CPU in Games. (possibly 5 or 6 fps difference) AMD's rule for gaming because they cost a fraction of the price and deliver the same performance. That being said its been a long time since i had an intel, i wouldnt mind but i just can't afford to waste money because all im going to do is play games on it.

As for ATI vs NVIDIA, right now its really not a good idea to go with the Green team, considering you're going for a GTX 295 co-op, id suggest an ATI HD 5870, which will give you more or less the exact same performance (and its a Single GPU card, not dual) If your worried that you wont be able to use PhysX, just get a cheap 8800 and stick it in with the 5870, then you can have the Best of both worlds ;)