Network Issues at Work

I work at small company that designs, manufactures, and installs sprinkler systems. Since Ive been working here they've been having issues with their network. About once or twice a week everyone will start getting Limited or No Connectivity messages and wont be able to get on the internet or do anything else on the network. Restarting the router fixes this but they'd like to get rid of the issue all together. I'm the only one there who knows anything about computers and have become the pseudo IT guy. I haven't done much with networking other then setting up small home networks and throwing a LAN party from time to time and haven't had too much experience troubleshooting.

Here is the network hardware wise:

AT&T 2701HG-B DSL Modem ---> Linksys BEFSR41 Router ---> Netgear JF5524 24port 10/100 Switch ---> Netgear FS605 v3 5port 10/100 (for our other building)

Any ideas on where to start?

Depending on the size of the organization and number of users, your company might be at the point that you need to consider investing in a network server. Right now it sounds like all of your client PCs are connecting in a peer to peer fashion.

You could always log your network traffic and determine if the network failures are occurring during periods of peak usage etc.

I'd say if you have anymore than 10-12 constant client machines accessing the network or internet at any given time then you need to convince the management to invest in a network server.

Thanks for the quick reply. Our email is handled by the same company that does our website so you think just a print/file server would suffice? The networks pretty much just used for printing autocad drawings so got any suggestions hardware wise? Moneys very tight right now so I don't want to make them spend anymore than they have to.

Restarting the router fixes this...

I assume the router you are restarting is the Linksys. Before I would even consider purchasing a network server of any type, I would update the firmware on that Linksys router to see if that resolves the issue, if not then I would replace the router. It's a cheap router that is probably 4-6 years old. Personally, I would go with some higher end equipment for a business, but I understand the financial constraints.

My experience with Linksys is they turned to . after Cisco got a hold of them. I had two Linksys routers at home that had similar issues. They would just up and decide to not work until I power cycled the things... after a while i had to reset them... and finally I just had to replace them.

As far as a server, if all you are doing is storing and printing AutoCAD drawings, then a file server might be a good idea for you. Mainly because it would keep your files on a centralized location that could easily be accessed and backed up. Of course, this could also be accomplished by a simple NAS appliance. The server or NAS route would of course cost more $$ than a new router.

Regardless of whether you decided to get a file server/NAS, the first thing I would do is buy a DECENT router. That should solve your problems.

Then if you want to add value/functions, then maybe look at a NAS/File server.

If all you want is to store files centrally, just get a NAS.

If you want to store files centrally and share printers, access remotely, perhaps even run a domain, then get a server.

There was an available firmware update so I did that this morning. They really liked the idea of actually having a print/file server so Im piecing that together as I type. As for a new router do you have any recommendations? Im trying to research as much of this as I can on my own but my bosses aren't the most patient people in the world.

The choice of router really depends on the budget and the features they need.

If they need just a connection to the internet that's rock solid, probably something like a Netgear Prosafe, or a low end cisco.

If they need things like VPN etc. then perhaps a low-mid Cisco router.

IT also depends on how much time you want to spend configuring all this. Cisco stuff is abit more challenging, but it does provide more features and are arguable more reliable.