• 802.11g/n
    • 802.11b/g/n
    • 802.11a/b/g/n
    • All wired 10/100
    • All wired 10/100/1000
    • Fiber
    • No network
    • Using the neighbors wireless

Funny this should come up, i have a question reguarding wireless (sortof)

I use a wireless router, and im with virgin Media, but i only use a Wired connection to the ADSL2+ Modem/router, i was reminded (by that tech guy video, where the lady is using someone elses wifi) that someone can use your internet and you should keep a pass on it to avoid that.

If i only use a Wired connection, is it possible for people to still use my Net? (because its a wireless router) Im not sure but i ask because i just dont want to install that annoying software that comes with the router/modem. Im tech savvy enough with computers but when it comes to Routers/modems i couldnt really care less solong as it does its job and propperly at that :lol: Thanks guys!

Edited by SenitaL

I have a Linksys WRT54G, great little router. Running 2 laptops, 2 iPhones, and an HP officejet pro 8000 wireless,and 2 PCs, an xBox 360, and my Blu-Ray player wired

Desktops are wired to a gigabit switch, laptops are b/g/n

If i only use a Wired connection, is it possible for people to still use my Net? (because its a wireless router)

Yes. Simply enable wireless security (WPA2)

Mostly 10/100 and only because router doesn't support gigabit 3/5 computers on my wired network can support it and we use CAT5e. We also have a wireless g network run off a WRT54GS ver 1.2 which runs DD-WRT. When I get the money I'll be looking for a router that supports DD-WRT and one that also features gigabit and USB for NAS and dual band wireless N.

I got a linksys wrt150n at home. all desktops are connected through wired 10/100 and we have the wireless set to G (due to lack of N devices) for laptops, Wii, ipod touch, and any other wifi enabled device we might have.

Edited by JBags

I love how "Using the neighbors wireless" is an option :lol:

guilty. When we moved into our new house and didn't have our internet yet we used it. It's a little bit too far away though so it wasn't reliable.

I just moved into my gf's house, but, like my old flat, it's going to be computers wired through a gigabit switch, uplinked to wireless router... WiFi used for portable devices (i.e. laptops, PSP, phones, etc)

802.11b/g/n for iPhones, laptops and whatnot, wired 100 and 1000mbit for stationary through a DIR-635 router

Guest ajmatson
The Linksys disappeared!

Ha Ha that was so funny when I watched it :)

I have a mix of a bunch of networks, I have my DSL router running into my Cisco Lab (three routers and three switches) then branches off to the servers and desktops, on top of that I have a wireless "Linksys lol" router that is running on its own for my wireless devices. Overkill yea but hey it works for my studies :)