Sign in to follow this  
alexsinov

Feedback on new i7 computer build

This is my first post in this forum, so first I salute all the members!

Now let's get down to business.

I plan on building a new computer and I need your feedback, since the vas majority of you are far more experienced than me. I'll try to provide as many details and insights on my choices as possible.

Build

MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E EVO or P7P55D-E Pro - there are some questions raised on the noise the PRO vresion seems to emit. Thread here

CPU: Intel Core i7 860, 2.80GHz

RAM: Corsair 2 x 2048MB DDR3, 1600MHz, XMS3 Dominator - AFAIK these are in the QVL list, but I'll check again

GPU: HIS Ati Radeon HD 5770, 1024MB, DDR5, 128bit, Full HD 1080p, PCI-E

PSU: Enermax 850W, Revolution 85+

HDD: 2x Western Digital 500GB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Case: Antec Miditower P193 EU

Optical: DVD-RW Sony Dual Layer 24x, Lightscribe, SATA

I am a designer/web designer, so a quad core CPU choice is justified, IMHO. Of course, i don't say no to games :) The GPU is more than enough to play the latest games at max settings, I think.

IMHO the build is bottleneck free, the only thing that puzzles me is the MoBo choice, since I really don't know what to choose between those two. Besides that, reading the ASUS forums for those boards i found out that the PRO vresion seems to emit a high pitched noise when idle. They say it's because of the C1 state of the CPU. If you disable C states the noise dissapears. but I really wouldn't want to disable the energy saving features; and the overclock I aim for is a simple one: don't want to disable Turbo or anything, only some more Mhz and all the features enabled. On the other hand, the case I chose has a good sound proofing and maybe the sound won't penetrate it's walls. But what if the noise is actually some malfunction and I find one day the board is messed up? Thread here

Any thoughts?

Thnks all for the input!

Edited by alexsinov

Because I always say "don't put all your eggs in one basket". :) I consider 500GB is more than enough for the system. The other one is for resources like graphics, fonts etc.

i would really get an i7 920. Going with an 1156 board right now just doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it's already a "dieing" socket. going the 1366 gives you a much longer upgrade path. Should you choose to upgrade to a hexacore processor down the road, all you'll have to do is buy the new CPU and possibly update your mobo BIOS.

Going this path will also necessitate going with 6Gb of ram if you want to run in tri-channel (which you do for optimum performance)

that being said, here are the changes:

CPU: i7 920 although if you're comfortable buying used, you can snatch these up for around ~$200 easily ( or if you live near a MicroCenter you can pay $200 for a new one )

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

and one last thing, bumping your own thread is generally only allowed every 12-24 hours ;)

oh and welcome to OCC :)

OK, but how do I know the hexacore CPu will be properly supported? Guess I don't.

I'm asking this and saying "properly" because now I have an ASUS P5ND2 Deluxe, wich was supposed to be able to support the -then - new dual core CPUs. It supported them allright, in the sense of being able to function, but with only one core ...

And BTW, when are these hexacores supposed to come out?

I dont like your graphic card in this build

the 5830 should be coming out soon, hopefully

you have a nice processor, and a 100$ CPU fan

but you are skimping here?

get rid of the noctua and get something cheaper if you have to pinch pennies somewhere

also 4GB for design work is the minimum

for web design it is fine, but Illustrator would prefer more

i would really get an i7 920. Going with an 1156 board right now just doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it's already a "dieing" socket. going the 1366 gives you a much longer upgrade path.

THe 1156 is in no way dieing. Intel will continue to refine this line of processors for years to come. Allowing for a foolproof line of upgrade.

i would really get an i7 920. Going with an 1156 board right now just doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it's already a "dieing" socket. going the 1366 gives you a much longer upgrade path. Should you choose to upgrade to a hexacore processor down the road, all you'll have to do is buy the new CPU and possibly update your mobo BIOS.

Going this path will also necessitate going with 6Gb of ram if you want to run in tri-channel (which you do for optimum performance)

that being said, here are the changes:

CPU: i7 920 although if you're comfortable buying used, you can snatch these up for around ~$200 easily ( or if you live near a MicroCenter you can pay $200 for a new one )

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3

and one last thing, bumping your own thread is generally only allowed every 12-24 hours ;)

oh and welcome to OCC :)

:withstupid: Couldn't agree more, also you can get by running 2 sticks of memory on the 1366 platform if you are on a budget. The 6 core/12 thread cpus will be out in march supposedly...

Edited by road-runner

:withstupid: Couldn't agree more, also you can get by running 2 sticks of memory on the 1366 platform if you are on a budget. The 6 core/12 thread cpus will be out in march supposedly...

it can run on 2 sticks, but there will be a performance hit yes?

it can run on 2 sticks, but there will be a performance hit yes?

Very little from what I have seen in benches, actually some benches do better with just 2 sticks and can usually clock a little higher on 2 sticks. I even have a couple rigs crunching on 2 sticks, I think it was a around 200 ppd less on around a 12,000 ppd machine...

Edited by road-runner