AMD PhenomII 550 BE

spawn23

Hey pls tell that can i unlock the 2 hidden cores of my processor on my 780G motherboard??

n i also dont have any aftermarket cooler is it safe to unlock it on stock cooler??

i have Asus M4A78-EM/1394

Edited by spawn23

yes, you can unlock the 2 cores as long as u have the latest bios update. you will need an aftermarket cooler as it will make the temps much higher. but i don't recommend if not experience with overclocking.

yes, you can unlock the 2 cores as long as u have the latest bios update. you will need an aftermarket cooler as it will make the temps much higher. but i don't recommend if not experience with overclocking.

I agree, however if its the same cooler as the 955 I say its (relatively) safe to do it.

Below is what the Phenom 2 955s cooler looks like

post-68597-1266654497_thumb.jpg

The stock aftermarket cooler is... simplistic but I can't see it being much of a problem, Phenoms run quite cool. Just download HWMonitor and Prime95 and make sure temps don't exceed 60 when running the latter.

In answer to your first question, maybe. You can certainly try, but if this is a gaming pc I'd recommend overclocking instead.

if i unlock the cores ...i will lose warrenty of my motherboard or processor??

cos its been only a month ive purchased both

AMD 4 year warrenty = Void

so yeah you will, but thats the price of trying to get more performance from

any PC equipment.

i have to update bios ??? plz provide me url

Please refrain from Posting twice, if you must post additional information use the "Edit" button below your first post.

Whats the Make and model of your motherboard.

Ok basically, to update the bios, after u find it, it will either have to be put on a floppy or a USB drive, then u restart the PC while the drive/floppy is inserted. Then it will do all the work on it's own. Though make sure that the power doesn't go out or anything that might make your PC power down while updating the BIOS cuz that might damage everything beyond repair, but it don't be fooled, flashing the BIOS is a safe and easy process.

You will in fact need an aftermarket cooler for the unlock or overclock or whatever. It will probably give you more room for overclocking and make your unlock more stable.

As for the actual unlock, it won't always work since 1 or 2 or both of the extra cores might be damaged, it's a gamble. Some motherboards can let you choose which core to unlock too.

Damaging any hardware is next to impossible. If something is wrong, the PC will simply not turn on at all and all you'll need to do is clear the CMOS and everything will be at it's default state so don't worry about it and don't be afraid to experiment with the settings. You wouldn't believe what people do to their computers, so a simple core unlock is like a walk in the park.