Subnetting.

greengiant912

I am currently taking a class (TCP/IP) and we are currently working on how to break down subnets. I am starting to understand it a little bit, but I wondered if anyone out there had a few good tips or tricks they could share with me to get this in my head lol...

Subnetting is never an easy thing to learn especially IPv6 subnetting.

I always used this online calculator to help me through the work

http://www.subnet-calculator.com/

no freakin way, this is the coolest ever....i just started/joined cisco academy yesterday....reading week 1 now, but so far it's all ipv4

IPv4 subnetting is a little difficult to learn but once you've done it after a while it's not that bad.

I have always found that IPv6 subnetting is a little more difficult concept to grasp because there are hex numbers you have to work with plus it's a larger address space and IPv6 has some standards are a little bit different then IPv4.

Edited by fire_storm

Guest ajmatson

I'm with fire. IPv6 is a pain in the arse. I just finished my Cisco classes (CJ if you need any help I am a phone call away :) ) I just started on my MCITP certs and am working on Active Directory now so IPv6 is driving me wacko.

I'm with fire. IPv6 is a pain in the arse. I just finished my Cisco classes (CJ if you need any help I am a phone call away :) ) I just started on my MCITP certs and am working on Active Directory now so IPv6 is driving me wacko.

hexadecimal huh...

thanx so much aj and fire...don't be surprised if i take you up on that aj... i'd pm ya first...well week1 i'm learning packet tracer and how to use it atm, starting first assignment stuff

My professor did it the with mathematical equations that I understood, but couldn't remember. I do it via binary, which sounds weird but makes ALOT of sense and is easy to remember! I watched this video when I first was learning how to do this method, its a great way to start.

I read a few more articles after that to reinforce the idea. I have a link somewhere to a calculator/practice site that is great for practice. Let me know if you need any help. I hated subnetting when I started but now I kinda like it. weird!

My professor did it the with mathematical equations that I understood, but couldn't remember. I do it via binary, which sounds weird but makes ALOT of sense and is easy to remember!

:withstupid: Binary is the easiest way to calculate IP addresses!

Packet Tracer is a pretty cool tool, helps a lot to actually put to use the subnets, VLAN... etc

:withstupid: Binary is the easiest way to calculate IP addresses!

Packet Tracer is a pretty cool tool, helps a lot to actually put to use the subnets, VLAN... etc

I concur! Packet tracer was the best part of that whole class. I still use it as practice for programming Cisco equipment.

Guest ajmatson
hexadecimal huh...

thanx so much aj and fire...don't be surprised if i take you up on that aj... i'd pm ya first...well week1 i'm learning packet tracer and how to use it atm, starting first assignment stuff

Anytime let me know. Packet tracer rocks but I have a lab set up at home becuase I learn better with full hands on. There is a site I goto as well ( techexams.net ) that has a lot of helpful information and some nice people that will help yo out with problems.