Which aspects of a game contribute most to its atmosphere and immersio

sack_patrol

Which aspects of a game contribute most to its atmosphere and immersion?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which aspects of a game contribute most to its atmosphere and immersion?

• The Characters
    • The Setting
    • The Main Plot
    • The Audio/Soundtrack
    • The Graphics

I'm not a huge fan of the daytime and happier settings myself but I can definitely see why they did it, it is a nice mix up but I don't like myself. In my opinion there is one thing they really messed up in left 4 dead 2 and was the knock back, I know they replaced it with melee weapons but in the time it takes to switch to a melee weapon I found myself being knocked down, I wish they had just left the knock back alone.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resident Evil when it started out is another game that touched everything. It started a whole genre and it encompassed every aspect of what a game should be. Even though I played RE5 it has gotten away from what made RE great. Me and my brother used to sit in a dark room and we felt like we were in the mansion. That is one of those games that you never forget. Replayable and memorable are also things to judge how good a game is.

I completely agree with what you said ball1st1x, apart from the Halo bit. Now I'm not a massive fan of Halo myself (the story especially is dire) but I do think Bungie deserve credit for not overworking what they had. OK, first three were pretty similar, but they work as a trilogy. Then ODST tried to shift from the whole superhuman trigger-happy FPS that the former Halo's were, and Reach is moving further away with more vulnerable (oops!) charactors, darker plots and (diehard Halo fans have a heart attack) squad-based gameplay. Considering Bungie have stated Reach will be the last, it's clear that since Halo 3 they've been trying to break away from the mould they themselves created without loosing their target market along the way.

Edited by Union Of V

Games like COD....6 times...war, kill some bad guys, perks, been there done that. Not immersive any more but it was when it was new.

Each was more immersive than the last. Stop blinding yourself before you even play the damn games. :)

Each was more immersive than the last. Stop blinding yourself before you even play the damn games. :)

yeah...um..no. I played all of them. CoD4 was better imo, 6 simply didn't have anything that I didn't expect. 5 was ok but I never even finished it. Got boring 2/3 in.

yeah...um..no. I played all of them. CoD4 was better imo, 6 simply didn't have anything that I didn't expect. 5 was ok but I never even finished it. Got boring 2/3 in.

This.

I loved Call of Duty 4 and World at War wasn't bad, but I hate MW2, worst call of duty game ever is and will be MW2 for me.

Edited by Deathmineral

Everyone keeps bagging on MW2 and bragging about CoD4 ...I'm going have to try CoD4 sometime.

But honestly, what in the hell do FPS games know about Game Immersion? Whole point is to run around and kill people. That's it.

You need a game with a story, like Bioshock/FO3/Metroid Prime (etc.), for a FPS game to delve into game immersion. Enjoying a game is completely different than game immersion.

Everyone keeps bagging on MW2 and bragging about CoD4 ...I'm going have to try CoD4 sometime.

But honestly, what in the hell do FPS games know about Game Immersion? Whole point is to run around and kill people. That's it.

You need a game with a story, like Bioshock/FO3/Metroid Prime (etc.), for a FPS game to delve into game immersion. Enjoying a game is completely different than game immersion.

You enjoy it when it's appealing to you thus u are immersed in it. Go play the half life games and come back and talk about fps not being immersive. lol

and btw: bioshok -> FPS.

Edited by ballist1x