Been away for a while, a lot of new products, what cpu?

Ive been away from puters for a while and was wondering about intels new chipsets and socket offerings, and the new i5 and i7 cpus. i am thinking about building a gaming rig.

Ive been away from puters for a while and was wondering about intels new chipsets and socket offerings, and the new i5 and i7 cpus. i am thinking about building a gaming rig.

I would say it depends on how many fun tickets you want to spend. I'm not a gamers but I love my i7-920.

the CPU intel core I5 750 is socket 1156 motherboard

from what we know, intel plans to discontinue this line even though it is brand new.

so if you plan to go intel you can choose to get a I7 920 and have be assured your motherboard will be compatible with future processors at least a year from now

or you can save some money using socket 1156 which also I believe uses dual channel memory where as the 920 requires 3 sticks of memory.

so this will run you about 200$ for the CPU

with AMD you can get a tricore processor for around 120$ or an X2 550 for 100$ and save some money and still get curent generation CPU performance in games.

Edited by potatochobit

Because it's hard to make a game that uses a processor so well that an i7 would actually be needed

+1, unless you're gaming at 800x600, your graphics card is going to be the bottleneck and it would be wiser to spend the extra money on a graphics card over a processor. ;)

the CPU intel core I5 750 is socket 1156 motherboard

from what we know, intel plans to discontinue this line even though it is brand new.

Yeah, just like they eventually discontinued Core 2, what's your point?

Yeah, just like they eventually discontinued Core 2, what's your point?

obviously it means he cannot use a 6 core processor in the future without buying a new motherboard. you should know this.

and if you have fun cruising around in your core 2, good for you!

and no, it was not like how they eventually discontinued Core 2 which can still be purchased.