Sign in to follow this  
WhenKittensATK

[PS3] Heavy Rain

Played the demo the other day and I liked it. Heavy Rain is a mix of action/adventure/detective/dialog/quick-time events. Before you cringe at the sight of quick-time events, Heavy Rain takes a difference approach to it. If you make a mistake you live with the consequences. Usually if you mess up, it just keeps going. If one of your four characters die, you continue the game with the others. Their deaths will reflect on how the rest of the game is played.

So if you're into the action-consequences type of games, this might be for you. It's a PS3 exclusive and it apparently uses PhysX. Although as to what effects it adds to the game is unknown, until they out right tell you.

89 Metacritic Score

That fight scene in the demo is probably the most fun I had with a quick-time event ever. Edited by Krazyxazn

I thought the E3 Demo was great. I thought the demo they recently showed (mall scene) was horrible. Mediocre character models and horrendous voice acting is not something you want in a game that's supposed to feel like a movie.

Sadly character models and the voice acting at times aren't up to par to that cinematic experience. The FBI agent's VO is British, so whenever you listen to him it sounds weird at times. These issues don't bother me as much, but for some it may.

I think the voice acting could have been better for sure but I get the feeling the developers were trying to put more focus on the scenery and how exactly the characters interacted with it, just trying to cover a lot of small stuff anyway, and that's the part I like the most about it.

Sadly character models and the voice acting at times aren't up to par to that cinematic experience. The FBI agent's VO is British, so whenever you listen to him it sounds weird at times. These issues don't bother me as much, but for some it may.

Well I don't know how they were on the PS3, but the voice acting in Dragon Age: Origins and Batman: Arkham Asylum were probably the best I've ever witnessed in a game, and the character models were great as well.

But as you touched upon, part of the issue is that they used foreign actors to voice American characters, and clearly their voice acting skills at an American accent aren't that great. And, although this may be more in line with the mediocre character models I was talking about, the lip syncing isn't always...uh...synced. I'd almost rather have a game without moving mouths than one where the mouths don't move to the words being spoken.

It looks like a genuinely interesting game and reviews have been full of praise. I do think some people will feel confused when they find out it's not more hands-on though (you know the ones "wow, 90%? I should buy this because it's awesome!" having not read about it first), but if I had a PS3, I'd probably give it a shot.

Instead, I'll be waiting for Alan Wake :)

So... who all got this or even rented it? I didn't get it but I watched someone else play it, glad I did too because I got everything out of it that I wanted without enduring a QTE system, and I hate QTE in any game.

i saw an ad on the tv the other day and it caught my attention. watching the ign review i might pick it up depending on the price and if i have some cash to spare

I'd get it if I still wanted to play it but... I just really hate QTE so it's a no. I think I might get it when it gets cheaper though.

its only been out here 2 days and i managed to find it in one retailer for $85AUD, $30 below retail so i picked it up. I dont think i would have picked it up if it was full price for this. played it for a few hrs this afternoon and so far im up to the end of

ethan's first meeting with madison

i've never really played any qte games over the years so i dont hate them like some people do.

Normally i dont notice things such as occasional frame rate issues, the odd objects not as graphically detailed (i.e cell phones), and the occasional loss of audio sync. but i've only really noticed them because i saw the review on youtube.

the story is pretty interesting. i'll definitely be giving this a second (or more) play through just to see all the consequences of the actions. also the graphical detail of the people and some of the environments are good. the sound track is pretty good builds the suspense well

if you can tolerate qte games i'd recommend picking it up, even if only as a rental

I think lowering the difficulty also lowers the amount of QTEs. I think its default on Hard.

I like Heavy Rain's QTEs better than God of War 3's QTEs. GOW3 puts the buttons in places I'm never looking at. I always need to scan the whole screen whenever I'm in a QTE on GOW3. With Heavy Rain the button is right there where the action is happening on screen, and I love that.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I heard about how the difficulty changes the QTEs, from what I heard harder difficulty just gives you more buttons to press and makes the symbols on screen shakier, I think I'll play on the easiest difficulty available. :D

I think they could have done better with the QTEs though, like you really don't know what most of those are going to do if you press them, on top of that I thought it made them a little too difficult to see, for example when you're in conversations and the ideas are floating around your head it's almost impossible to read those unless you are right in front of the screen, and a lot of the words and phrases given for those are kind of silly, like when shelby first speaks to the mom and some of the dialogue options are just "trick", "understand", or "convince", I hated that because I didn't know what it meant by trick and that's the option I went with and it was something totally different from what I thought it was.