Starcraft II BETA This Month

tkrow21

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I totally expect to get me arse handed to me next game :lol: It was just exciting to win my 1st game :D

Think I'm gonna Random at least once more and then manually select the races because I definitely want to try them all out. The Zerg look so cool now. I like how you can see the drone in the building that is forming. Really like those little details they added into the game to improve the ambiance of it. I played the Protoss my first game and it was almost information overload playing them with all the glowing and crystals but they look cool fer sure.

Screenshot link editted btw - nothing special, just the scoreboard of that 1st Game

Speaking of which, is there a way to see how many Units/Structures you destroyed and how many you built? Also is there a screenshot key? My screenshot came from the clipboard. I thought for sure Print Screen would create a file like it used to in SC1.

Well I totally expect to get me arse handed to me next game :lol: It was just exciting to win my 1st game :D

Think I'm gonna Random at least once more and then manually select the races because I definitely want to try them all out. The Zerg look so cool now. I like how you can see the drone in the building that is forming. Really like those little details they added into the game to improve the ambiance of it. I played the Protoss my first game and it was almost information overload playing them with all the glowing and crystals but they look cool fer sure.

Screenshot link editted btw - nothing special, just the scoreboard of that 1st Game

Speaking of which, is there a way to see how many Units/Structures you destroyed and how many you built? Also is there a screenshot key? My screenshot came from the clipboard. I thought for sure Print Screen would create a file like it used to in SC1.

I'm guessing that there will be a lot more battle information when the game goes live, such as the units and structure information. Think they're just holding out on us in the beta.

Yes, there's a screenshot key. I don't know it because I use Xfire, but check the hotkey menu - I remember seeing it in there.

I started doing Random but soon realized that wasn't going to improve if I keep going back and forth between races since, as with SC1, each race is very unique. So now I'm going to focus on learning the intricacies of one race at a time. It's paid off already. I've started with the Terran and have had three victories in a row. It helps that in two of them I actually chatted with my teammates and strategized. I really like the marauder/thor combo army. Marauders take care of the quicker infantry while the thors can protect them from air and armor. Still learning all the nuances though, like I didn't even realize that the new dropships were the medics until after my last match. lol. Will have to think about adding them to my arsenal to keep my marauders alive longer, but that would involve diverting resources to a starport.

tkrow, how did you get in a league? I finished my five practice rounds (3-2), but it didn't put me in a league.

Oh nice! 3 in a row is awesome

Yah you bring up a good point about learning a race instead of switching back and forth. I'll use the practice matches to play each race so I can see which one I want to focus on. I'm definitely going to keep doing 2v2 because I definitely prefer working as a team. Guess I'll just have to get better so my teammate doesn't leave me again. lol

And I'll definitely poke through the menus again to see what the screenshot key is. And I'm sure you're spot on, they'll improve on the battle stats for the production release. I'm actually surprised how much they are providing now in Beta. This game is more polished than most games are live. I can't wait to play again.

There are two new Protoss ships and right now I couldn't tell you what either do, so I know exactly what you mean by the Medivac Ship.

Watch replays guys.

I am getting fairly good at terran. I do a marine/marauder combo that usually owns in late game compared to the tech units. If you have 5 medivacs in your ball and use stims you will destroy everything that walks your path.

UNITS UNITS UNITS UNITS is the key. You need to constantly be building your army in this game. Sometimes the low tech units will provide much more destruction they are cheap! tech them out!

tkrow, how did you get in a league? I finished my five practice rounds (3-2), but it didn't put me in a league.

I played my 5 placement (not practice) rounds against people who really had no idea what they were doing.

I was put in silver and after losing a few matches I settled at bronze.

Fast forward to 6:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg8H0Dq8XTs

Wow.

Edited by tkrow21

I played my 5 placement (not practice) rounds against people who really had no idea what they were doing.

I was put in silver and after losing a few matches I settled at bronze.

Fast forward to 6:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg8H0Dq8XTs

Wow.

Husky dose a pretty good job with his casts. He usually picks some pretty good matches! surprised I haven't seen this one lol...

Wow! ...and get my arse kicked I did. I don't know if those guys were on their 2nd account going through the 5 practice games again or if they were experienced SC1 ladder players, but... WOW, talk about early mass rushes. :blink:

4 straight losses - eep!

Glad you guys mentioned that REPLAY functionality. OMG is that the coolest feature I've ever seen implemented in a game. Wow it records just about everything. This game is 2 generations beyond any other game I've ever played. Not only is Big Brother watching but so is Mom, Dad and little sis ...and they got it ALL on tape. So I watched how those guys build so quick.

I kinda wish I could specify to be in game where no one is grouped together. It would be a nice option so two solo players aren't matched against grouped friends.

I really don't like those Terran Reapers. They are way too fast, agile and can move to other side of a map easier and faster than any other unit. I also don't like how they can attack while in the middle of jump. So people were just jumping up taking out a key building and immediately hopping down before your units could even attack them. Even the air units can't keep up with them ...bout all they can do is defend if you know where the reapers are going to hop up.

I'm definitely learning some cool advanced tricks watching these games on replays though. Some of the techniques I saw were very advanced and specific to SC2 so doubt most of the people I played were "new" to the game. A couple I believe were just really experienced SC1 players who probably played the Ladder frequently.

Wow! ...and get my arse kicked I did. I don't know if those guys were on their 2nd account going through the 5 practice games again or if they were experienced SC1 ladder players, but... WOW, talk about early mass rushes. :blink:

4 straight losses - eep!

Glad you guys mentioned that REPLAY functionality. OMG is that the coolest feature I've ever seen implemented in a game. Wow it records just about everything. This game is 2 generations beyond any other game I've ever played. Not only is Big Brother watching but so is Mom, Dad and little sis ...and they got it ALL on tape. So I watched how those guys build so quick.

I kinda wish I could specify to be in game where no one is grouped together. It would be a nice option so two solo players aren't matched against grouped friends.

I really don't like those Terran Reapers. They are way too fast, agile and can move to other side of a map easier and faster than any other unit. I also don't like how they can attack while in the middle of jump. So people were just jumping up taking out a key building and immediately hopping down before your units could even attack them. Even the air units can't keep up with them ...bout all they can do is defend if you know where the reapers are going to hop up.

I'm definitely learning some cool advanced tricks watching these games on replays though. Some of the techniques I saw were very advanced and specific to SC2 so doubt most of the people I played were "new" to the game. A couple I believe were just really experienced SC1 players who probably played the Ladder frequently.

Players got reset after the last major update a few days ago (at least mine did), so people had the opportunity to play their 5 practice rounds over again. It's pretty pathetic that people would want to, but hey, this is video games we're talking about...people get off on griefing.

As for the replay system, I hate to break it to you, but SC2 is not the first game to feature that. There have been plenty of RTSs since the original SC that have implemented a full-fledged replay system. Hell, even SC1 had a replay feature, but you had to actually manually save it.

As for Reapers, I don't think they're all that great. They're more of a harassment unit...like you said, running and gunning. If I don't want to just annoy the opposition, I find them to entail too much micro-managing (because if you don't micro-manage them and do the run-n-gun, they'll get torn apart rather quickly). I'm not good enough to micro-manage units and my base/production at the same time. lol

As for me...well I continued my tear in my first "placement match" and extended my win streak to 4. Then, in my second placement match, we got slaughtered, ending my streak in devastating fashion. It didn't help that my teammate was a complete moron, but even if he wasn't, we were outmatched. Base was defended by a massive amount of siege tanks and void rays, and when they wiped out our offensive force, they came and attacked us, which at that point my teammate had no units left and I had maybe about 20. If my teammate had ANY anti-air support, we may have been able to hold them off, as I was able to take out most of their ground forces and half their air. owell.

OMG, this is so freaking cool:

!

Not much to it right now, but there's potential there.

PS. Where do you get the map editor? I don't see it in-game, and I didn't see it for download in my battle.net account. Do only veteran map-makers have it?

Players got reset after the last major update a few days ago (at least mine did), so people had the opportunity to play their 5 practice rounds over again. It's pretty pathetic that people would want to, but hey, this is video games we're talking about...people get off on griefing.

Ahh... that makes sense. That sucks I wasted my 5 "practice rounds" without really getting to practice. Most if not all 4 of those losses were around ~10min. I barely just entered the tech tree when I had both enemies knocking on my door. I'm no where near ready to even try my 5 Placement games.

I think I'm just going to try and learn the Protoss race first I had more face time with them. Figure I can learn Terran when the Single Player campaign comes out. Plus I think Protoss is the 3rd release.

As for the replay system, I hate to break it to you, but SC2 is not the first game to feature that. There have been plenty of RTSs since the original SC that have implemented a full-fledged replay system. Hell, even SC1 had a replay feature, but you had to actually manually save it.

Oh I know its not the first game to have a replay feature but I've never seen one so advanced as SC2's. You can watch everyone at once. You can pick one person out and watch from their perspective see the choices they make as they make it, what that they are viewing and when. You can watch a unit ticker keep tally on everyone playing and how many of which types of units they had constantly throughout the game. You can step through the menu selections of the units and buildings and the available options are only what was available to the player at that time. You see and hear all the announcements they saw and heard as the game went on ...minus the private chat on their end. You can't see their mouse moving but you can see which unit/building they have targeted and clicks their making telling where to move the unit.

That is some pretty sophisticated stuff there. Then the game is always keeping track of the hundreds/thousands of moving units/building/glowing things. And despite all that its doing at the same time, its still able to run everything on Ultra with a 2yr old machine. That is some awesome functionality with even more impressively efficient coding.

If there is another game that does all that this well, I sure haven't played it.

As for Reapers, I don't think they're all that great. They're more of a harassment unit...like you said, running and gunning. If I don't want to just annoy the opposition, I find them to entail too much micro-managing (because if you don't micro-manage them and do the run-n-gun, they'll get torn apart rather quickly). I'm not good enough to micro-manage units and my base/production at the same time. lol

But they excel at the harassment. There is nothing I can find to combat early reapers from disrupting either my economy or my teammates. I'm going to try an early Stalker build with Blink. Not sure can research Blink in time though, but its definitely worth a try if it keeps me or my teammate in the game long enough to last at least 20min.

As for me...well I continued my tear in my first "placement match" and extended my win streak to 4. Then, in my second placement match, we got slaughtered, ending my streak in devastating fashion. It didn't help that my teammate was a complete moron, but even if he wasn't, we were outmatched. Base was defended by a massive amount of siege tanks and void rays, and when they wiped out our offensive force, they came and attacked us, which at that point my teammate had no units left and I had maybe about 20. If my teammate had ANY anti-air support, we may have been able to hold them off, as I was able to take out most of their ground forces and half their air. owell.

So you had the complete opposite results I did.

I won my last match (so 2-4) but i was definitely the weak link that game. Both guys attacked me early and seriously hurt my economy and base ...I took the risk of expanding early to pay for mass units and they called my bluff. They kept the pressure on and if it wasn't for my teammate being right next to me and helping their coordinated strike would have taken me out. Luckily my teammate built up quickly and was able to counter attack right away. About all I could do was defend our base from the enemy's Carrier counter attacks. He did the attacking, I did the defending. :( Those early economy hits are devastating.