Created network with 2 pc's and router

VenuS

Hey guys, need little help over here. Lately i connected my HTPC and main rig to a network trough router. Now, when i try to copy files from rig to htpc, i choose large ones, i got speed of 3 MB/s. But when i copy from htpc back, i got 8-9 MB/s.

Are those speeds normal and why there is difference?

My htpc based on DFI Ultra-D mb with integrated Nforce Network Controller, latest drivers,160 gb wd hdd

My rig based on Gigabyte EP45-DS3R mb with integrated Realtek Network Controller, latest drivers,2 hdds in raid, Both controllers stated 10/100/1000 mbps.

Router, Siemens ADSL2+Wlan 10/100

Both pcs connected wit Cat5e cables to router and both have Vista Ultimate x64.

Tryed lot of things, setting auto, full half duplex on both, diabled enabled flow control, nothing seems to improve.

Those speeds i have really slow, aren't they?

The speed of the computer will play a part in how fast it copies. Do both Vista machines have SP2? Switching to a Gigabit router will help a bit. Try unchecking the Remote Diffential Compression feature from Control Panel> Proograms and Features > Turn Windows features on and off.

Ok, there's been some progress, i'm sleepless ofcourse. :-) On the Ultra-D, my HTPC, there is another NIC onboard, Marvell Yukon. So i disabled the Nforce NIC, downloadded latest drivers for Marvell and what a difference...

Now i copy from Rig to HTPC with 8 MB/s instead of only 3 before and from HTPC to rig i got 11 MB/s instead of 8 before .8-11 its 64-88 Mbps on the 100 Mbps router, my recieve getting close. Still, i don't understand why send and recieve have 3 MB/s difference.

uneedav8: HTPC runing with Vista SP1 and Rig with Vista SP2. I am planning to run same OS on both. Differential Compression feature i Vlited, so it dosn't exist. Should i leave it and then enable/disable to see difference?

Ok, there's been some progress, i'm sleepless ofcourse. :-) On the Ultra-D, my HTPC, there is another NIC onboard, Marvell Yukon. So i disabled the Nforce NIC, downloadded latest drivers for Marvell and what a difference...

Now i copy from Rig to HTPC with 8 MB/s instead of only 3 before and from HTPC to rig i got 11 MB/s instead of 8 before .8-11 its 64-88 Mbps on the 100 Mbps router, my recieve getting close. Still, i don't understand why send and recieve have 3 MB/s difference.

uneedav8: HTPC runing with Vista SP1 and Rig with Vista SP2. I am planning to run same OS on both. Differential Compression feature i Vlited, so it dosn't exist. Should i leave it and then enable/disable to see difference?

Leave the setting unchecked....

Ok, finally, i think i made it. I went to the Realtek site and checked if there is new drivers for my Rig's nic. I had the 6.227 version and i saw that there were new drivers stated 6.300.

So i downloaded them and checked the speeds again and what a surprise. Now i have constant sending and recieving speeds from HTPC to Rig and back of 11 MB/s !!!

100 Mbps cap of my router is 12.5 MB/s, so i miss only 1.5 MB/s of speed being full. So i guess its normal right? Should i hunt the full speed or let it rest?

Edited by VenuS

there is always non-data overhead...

I'd highly recommend connecting all PCs to a Gigabit switch, and then connect the switch to the router... it's a very cheap upgrade, for a massive increase in speed

Thank you, definately something to consider. Is there any specific brands that i should look in to?

There is another question i have. I made my HTPC going to sleep all the time and enabled the NIC's option to awake on lan. So when i try to browse the HTPC from my rig its waking up and i can transfer files

and make some order not living the room, what i did before with help of USB flash drive. Now the thing is, that if i just browse the HTPC and not doing any file transfer its going back to sleep again as i wanted.

But if i transfer files or watch movie, after i done the HTPC never goes to sleep again. Any ideas whats causing it to stay awake?