sdy284

And they called it iPad

This device is perfect for me. I travel often, so this would be great for reading books/magazines, listening to music and watching videos. As everybody knows, using a laptop in economy class isn't exactly an ideal situation and staring at a 3.5" screen the whole flight is not pleasant either, so this would be absolutely perfect. I've also wanted an e-reader so this also fulfills that need. Finally, I like using my iPhone in bed before I go to sleep; I'd like a bigger screen to browse/play games but I don't want to take my laptop into bed with me since it can get cumbersome, not to mention the heat on my gnads, so again, a tablet would fill that need.

The price certainly makes it easier to swallow. I paid more than $500 for the first iPhone, so this isn't exactly overpriced for me. I won't be needing the 3G feature since I would only use it in places that have Wi-Fi access and if I ever needed to look something up out of range of a hotspot then I have my iPhone.

Yes, this device certainly isn't for everyone, but for the people whose needs it does fill, it's a great little device. However, I agree, iPad is a horrendous name. iSlate or even iTablet would have been far more preferable.

This device is perfect for me. I travel often, so this would be great for reading books/magazines, listening to music and watching videos. As everybody knows, using a laptop in economy class isn't exactly an ideal situation and staring at a 3.5" screen the whole flight is not pleasant either, so this would be absolutely perfect. I've also wanted an e-reader so this also fulfills that need. Finally, I like using my iPhone in bed before I go to sleep; I'd like a bigger screen to browse/play games but I don't want to take my laptop into bed with me since it can get cumbersome, not to mention the heat on my gnads, so again, a tablet would fill that need.

The price certainly makes it easier to swallow. I paid more than $500 for the first iPhone, so this isn't exactly overpriced for me. I won't be needing the 3G feature since I would only use it in places that have Wi-Fi access and if I ever needed to look something up out of range of a hotspot then I have my iPhone.

Yes, this device certainly isn't for everyone, but for the people whose needs it does fill, it's a great little device. However, I agree, iPad is a horrendous name. iSlate or even iTablet would have been far more preferable.

All I heard was :applefanboy::applefanboy::applefanboy: Did I miss anything else?

I was hoping for an OSX tablet and they give us an over sized I touch with a beefy processor, and a name that makes me think of incontinence products great job Jobs! <_<

seriously, at first I thought calling ipad was just a little joke

I think all women should rightly be offended

My friends from Boston have been calling their portable music players "iPads" for years.

It looks like a large print iPod for old people.

Edited by Camshaft

All I heard was :applefanboy::applefanboy::applefanboy: Did I miss anything else?

You have to admit the thing has its positives! However, the negatives far outweighs them for a lot of people... but not Kash I suppose ;)

It's a niche product for a niche market!

Yeah, I doubt they have an x86 license, or they?

AFAIK, the only x86 licensees are AMD, Intel and VIA.

Edited by Zertz

You have to admit the thing has its positives! However, the negatives far outweighs them for a lot of people... but not Kash I suppose ;)

It's a niche product for a niche market!

Oh no doubt it has a limited audience. I just happen to be in that audience. Doesn't make me a fanboy, just means that I'm the type of person Apple is targeting with this device. I don't go around calling people who prefer netbooks fanboys of Microsoft/Intel/insert manufacturer. If a particular device satisfies your needs, then that's just how it is. No need to insult somebody for their preferences.

No need to insult somebody for their preferences.

Was my comment somehow insulting?

I was referring to Clay's fanboy comment. You were fine :)

I was referring to Clay's fanboy comment. You were fine :)

Oh please, everyone knows you're a fanboy :P.

And what do you expect me to say when you don't state any negatives for a device that obviously has them?

Anywho, I don't agree with your comment about economy class on planes not being suitable for laptops. At least on Jet Blue, Delta and AA, I've had no space issues using my 15" laptop, and I've seen people use 17" ones just fine. The place that is somewhat annoying to use my laptop is on the subway and train (not Amtrak...Amtrak is perfectly fine). And I agree with you on this being more convenient in bed than a laptop as well.

However, for the size and price, you can get a very good netbook that would be just as easy to use in bed, on a plane, on a train, etc. The netbook would allow you to run real programs, utilize a real keyboard, and most importantly, allow you to view flash websites. Seriously, how can Apple not support Flash after all this time?! That's a major drawback, IMO. Now, in theory, Apple should be able to update the OS to support Flash in the future, so there's still hope, but that doesn't seem likely in Apple monopolistic eyes. Support flash and you allow access to a million free flash games, which would significantly affect game sales on the app store.