sdy284

And they called it iPad

why build in USB & SD when they can make a dongle and charge you for it!

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458376/apple-ipads-m...s-usb-sd-ac-bbq

500x_screen_shot_2010-01-27_at_12.28.25_pm.jpg

The iPad really is a giant iPhone—so much so that if you want to get a laptop-like experience out of it, you'll need adapters to change the typical 30-pin connector into USB, SD, or AC power. Correction:

In addition to the keyboard attachment, there will also be dongles, attaching to the 30-pin dock connector, that give a USB port and SD card slot. In terms of charging, there's no built-in MagSafe connector or anything, so they'll also be shipping an iPod-to-AC cable as an optional extra. Correction: The 10W USB-to-AC cable will be included in the box, not an optional extra as I wrote earlier, in the heat of the battle (and Apple events are battles, at least for us).

The USB and SD adapters are billed as the "Camera Connection Kit," which may mean they're sold together and may also mean their features are limited to importing photos and videos. From Apple:

The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera's USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera's SD card.

Neither release date nor pricing has been revealed on these accessories, but we'll let you know as soon as we have them.

It's on their site now

http://www.apple.com/

Giz summary of iPad

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458292/apple-ipad-ev...p;autoplay=true

I think its a waste. Its just like a giant ipod touch. Its not a actual computer with OS X. You can't install actual programs on it like a real tablet. I really expected more from apple with this one. Yes I like that it can do a bunch of things, HD youtube, games ect... but I was looking forward to something like a touch version of a iBook.

Edited by rmb938

If it had multitasking and higher resolution, I'd be interested :)

$500 isn't bad at all, sure the $130 premium for 3G is ridiculous, but I could live without it. Look at all these crappy Atom + Windows tablets... slow, poor battery life and expensive.

Edited by Zertz

If it had OSX on it I might consider it a bit more, but not as it stands now. I still don't know if I would even if it had OSX. What does it do that I don't already have the capabilities of doing now? I have an iPhone and I have a laptop. If I travel somewhere I can get by with my iPhone as long as I don't need to type a lot, but I wouldn't be doing anymore typing on the iPad without the keyboard dock. If I was going to take the keyboard with me I might as well just take my laptop.

The only thing I can see this thing being useful for (myself at least) is being portable for videos, and I just don't travel enough where I would get a chance to watch. I'm either driving or trying to take care of my kid.

For books, I don't want to look at an lcd screen that long since it tends to hurt my eyes after a while. I think e-ink is much better suited for books though I do want color which they have it's just not out in an ereader yet (not in anything that has a decent device and store and price).

Can't say screen size would be one of my complaints about it.

And why not? How do you expect to carry that around? You can't carry it in your pocket. Are you a woman with a large purse? Or do you carry a man purse? If not, then you'll need to carry this around in a netbook-sized bag, so you might as well just carry around a netbook...at least with a netbook you can run real programs and have a real keyboard.

I have an iPhone and think it's great, but one of the things that's great about it is its size.

Yeah, the few guys at work that still have iphones just go on eachothers itunes accounts and grab their music and apps. It comes in handy since I just have an ipod and have to convert my music to use it.

Sounds like what me any my friends do with our steam accounts and PSP's :lol:

And why not? How do you expect to carry that around? You can't carry it in your pocket. Are you a woman with a large purse? Or do you carry a man purse? If not, then you'll need to carry this around in a netbook-sized bag, so you might as well just carry around a netbook...at least with a netbook you can run real programs and have a real keyboard.

I have an iPhone and think it's great, but one of the things that's great about it is its size.

Hit the nail right on the head, pretty much sums up my exact feelings. I'd get a netbook for cheaper, it'd do more, and I'll tether it to my Sprint phone and have faster 3G internet. :thumbs-up:

Which is a good point I was saying I can't complain about the screen size because I can't but you pointed out one of the things I can complain about which is that it lacks features for its size. Yes I very much agree for its size I would rather carry a netbook.. What they should have done was take an already existing product and turn that into a tablet.... A tablet edition of a Macbook air wouldn't have been a bad idea.