Up-to-date SSD roundup?

ebarone

I'm trying to research as much as I can on the current state of SSD's, but I cant find much thats current, given the supposed updates that have happened in the last couple months. Mainly, I'm curious about what drives are TRIM capable, since I do have Windows 7. So here are a few questions I have, or if someone could point me to an up to date SSD roundup, that would rule too:

Are the Intel G2 drives the only ones TRIM enabled?

If not, how can I tell which are and arent?

Does TRIM work if the two drives are in a RAID setup?

Does TRIM work if the RAID isnt based on the motherboard, but rather through a controller card?

Are there any earth-shattering updates to the whole SSD world that are due in the next month? Two months? (I ask because I HATE waiting for new hardware, but sometimes its prudent)

Thanks for any and all responses

TRIM is enabled on...

Intel G2

Pretty much every Indilinx drives

Some Samsung

There are no RAID cards that pass the TRIM command yet, they are supposed to be appearing sometimes soon though.

A few companies, including OCZ, has SSD's coming based on the new Sandforce controller. Then there's the new Marvell controller. So yes, there are a few really fast controllers coming :)

Edited by Zertz

When you say no raid cards pass TRIM, does that include all on-board RAID controllers? What about the Indilinx wiper tool, does that get through a RAID card/onboard controller? And lastly, is there a timeline on those new SSDs? Thanks for the replies!

Edited by ebarone

When you say no raid cards pass TRIM, does that include all on-board RAID controllers? What about the Indilinx wiper tool, does that get through a RAID card/onboard controller?

No RAID cards includes on-board RAID controllers, yes. Also, I'm pretty sure the wiper tool works ONLY when the drive is connected normally and not through a RAID controller.

There are a few SSDs that have a firmware that supports background garbage collection which works perfectly behind RAID, the OS doesn't need to do anything for it to work.

Thanks, I had read some about the OCZ Vertex series SSDs having the garbage collection feature, would those basically be the ideal drives to put in a RAID 0? I guess thats sort of my goal here, boning up on the hardware to be able to put together a blazingly fast OS drive with a reasonable price point. Its easy enough to find gfx and processor info, this is a bit tougher. From what I gathered on Anandtech, the X25-M G2 is the class leader, but without garbage collection or a way to easily TRIM the thing, it might not be the best to have in RAID.... right? Got any recommendations? Thanks :D

Edit: When I say blazingly fast, I know SSDs are fast in and of themselves and the easiest thing would be to go get a good size SSD and drop it in. But I want that little RAID0 edge, so the plan ATM is to get two smaller ones and combine them... maybe I should move this to the system builds forum...

Edited by ebarone

Personally I'd wait until the SATA 6 Gbps/Sandforce drives debut. The SSD market has been changing quickly and waiting a bit longer will get you a good jump in performance. That, and someone might design a RAID array that'll pass the TRIM commands properly.

Edited by Waco

From what I've seen, the Vertex 2's will be a bit above my price point in the near term, Intel supposedly wont have anything til the end of the year, and I have "the itch"... so what do you think the best way to proceed would be, given that I cant afford X25-E's? My mobo is PCIe 1.0 and I dont have a raid-capable southbridge, is it even worthwhile at the moment to shoot for a raid0 of these? Maybe just get one until I can get a new board?

TRIM is enabled on...

Intel G2

Pretty much every Indilinx drives

Some Samsung

There are no RAID cards that pass the TRIM command yet, they are supposed to be appearing sometimes soon though.

A few companies, including OCZ, has SSD's coming based on the new Sandforce controller. Then there's the new Marvell controller. So yes, there are a few really fast controllers coming :)

so fast that they surpass the Sata II bandwith?

so fast that they surpass the Sata II bandwith?

Even my Indilinx drive saturates the bus on reads. :P

Wont you need the 6 Gbps Sata connector on the mobo to benefit from that though?

Either that or an add-on card. On a 3 Gbps bus it'll just saturate it most of the time (which still isn't bad at all compared to a HDD).

Edited by Waco