Inexpensive mobo/CPU combo for OCing

I've been experimenting with a couple of expensive CPUs (Q9650 and Q6700) using EVGA 790i mobo's. To be honest, I'm getting a bit nervous about going further with these chips. What do you think is the best CPU/mobo combination for OC experimenting that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Keep in mind that I'm experimenting, NOT looking to build a computer for daily use.

Hmmm,well seeing as you already have a nice setup,id say go for a Core i5,and a Gigabyte P55 mobo.You should get 4.0ghz out of the i5,and still have headroom.Also,correct me if im wrong anyone,but you'll still be able to keep your current ram.So basically just swap out your mobo and proccy and thats it.If one of those quads are going to gather dust,can i have one? (no really :P)

Hmmm,well seeing as you already have a nice setup,id say go for a Core i5,and a Gigabyte P55 mobo.You should get 4.0ghz out of the i5,and still have headroom.Also,correct me if im wrong anyone,but you'll still be able to keep your current ram.So basically just swap out your mobo and proccy and thats it.If one of those quads are going to gather dust,can i have one? (no really :P)

Thanks. I'll look into those parts. Sorry, but I won't be stripping the Q6700 or Q9650 machines to build the experimental one. Just looking for a "plaything" I can blow up without losing any sleep. :-)