2.5' PATA Socket to 1.8' ZIF Socket

panjang110

hi everyone, i'm going to mod my Aspire One with a 2.5' HDD and i wanna skip all the soldering stuff and buy 1.8' ZIF to 2.5' PATA adapter like this

the site say the adaptor is for changing the ZIF socket on 1.8' HDD to a PATA socket so you can use it in a normal laptop. but i wanna reverse the process and and change a normal 2.5' PATA HDD to ZIF socket so i can use it in my Aspire One. But i need to know is the ZIF socket will supply enough power to normal 2.5' HDD since we all know 1.8' HDD consume very little power like the ones in Ipod. can u guys give me some info on this? :)

I've seen someone do this mod before, but they actually found the normal hard drive header on the board and soldered the connector on. Honestly it would probably be much more cost efficient to sell your current one and buy one with the 2.5" hard drive. Plus if it is one of the original AAO 110's then I don't even think that there is enough space top put a 2.5 hard drive in it.

after a quick google, I found out that I was wrong. here is a link hope it helps.

http://www.theacerguy.com/2009/01/aspire-one-a110-25-sata/

The link does seem to indicate that the ZIF will not supply enough power.

Edited by Bandrew