Help, I just broke my computer badly :(

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe slot no 4 is not working either, i mean the pin inside the slot. anyway there won't be a significant drop on performance so don't worry about it....

Thats is crazy dude!!!!

You could always RMA!

I cant see how slot 2 and 4 could be damaged from installing your cooler. I mean whats the odds? they are on different channels, correct? Is that the motherboard in your sig? if not whats the model info?

yup its all in my sig,,,

Ive had this for quite a while now ,,, almost a year I wonder if they would even take it back.

It must be something that I did to it because it was working fine before???????

the thing is that I never even took the ram out during the installation so i doubt the slots are wrecked but maybe something else along the line,

i did have the cpu out because the stock heatsink tim held so strong it pulled the cpu out with the cooler. I had to lightly pry the cpu off the stock cooler. but i had it working after this point with the new cooler but it was cooling poorly so i took the cooler off (without removing cpu) and reaplied tim cause i did a poor job and when i got it together that time it would not post.

if i get some time this evening i will pull the cpu out and look at the pins really really good,,, i cant do that too much more though as i am running low on tim now lol.

i'll check the ram slots to even though i dont think thats the problem,,,

If I did wreck something it sucks but it isn't the end of the world,,, I just want to know what I wrecked so I don't have to start changing a bunch of crap.

Now without dual channel ram as I have it working now will there be much performance drop? maybe I can just put up with it till i decide to upgrade ram cpu mobo in a year or 2

Edited by feetfats

Thats is crazy dude!!!!

You could always RMA!

I cant see how slot 2 and 4 could be damaged from installing your cooler. I mean whats the odds? they are on different channels, correct? Is that the motherboard in your sig? if not whats the model info?

nah, it's a gigabyte board...most likely he just needs to populate slot #1 first, restart the machine and configure the ram settings, then shut down and populate slot #2 then restart.

on my board slot #1 is the white slot closest to the cpu and #2 is the white slot farther away from cpu....you guys need to read your mobo manuals not rma the board....unless of course the worst has happened and the operator damaged the slots during installation....the gigabyte guys will see that when they get it back and nix the rma....

Have you tried cleaning the inside of the DIMM slots and the RAM's contacts? I use an alcohol pad to clean away any dust after blowing it out first with compressed air then let it dry. It dries very quickly. You never know it could be dust causing poor contact. I'd clean the PCI-E slots and video cards contacts as well while you're at it.

Have you tried cleaning the inside of the DIMM slots and the RAM's contacts? I use an alcohol pad to clean away any dust after blowing it out first with compressed air then let it dry. It dries very quickly. You never know it could be dust causing poor contact. I'd clean the PCI-E slots and video cards contacts as well while you're at it.

ive cleaned it out with the air can but not wipes yet,, the ram was just sitting in there when this all happened so i dont see why it would be dirt.

nah, it's a gigabyte board...most likely he just needs to populate slot #1 first, restart the machine and configure the ram settings, then shut down and populate slot #2 then restart.

on my board slot #1 is the white slot closest to the cpu and #2 is the white slot farther away from cpu....you guys need to read your mobo manuals not rma the board....unless of course the worst has happened and the operator damaged the slots during installation....the gigabyte guys will see that when they get it back and nix the rma....

I'll check out the bios again but everything looked ok,

how the heck could I have damaged a ram slot though i wasnt being crazy in there,, i

yes I have tried many times,,I will check the ram slot here in a bit,

I don't see how I wrecked the ram slot because I hadnt touched the ram i was messing with the cpu cooler,,, unless i jarred the ram or somethig.

lol.. dont worry I am not intimidated,,, just kinda frustrated

thanks

ok just try this for me... take out the little battery that is on your mobo for 10 min. when i crap something up that usaully fix's it lol. sounds dumb but it my work!!!

ok just try this for me... take out the little battery that is on your mobo for 10 min. when i crap something up that usaully fix's it lol. sounds dumb but it my work!!!

I took it out for a minute before ,, if that isnt enough i can try agian for 10 mins

you did not damage the ram slot

you damaged the board line that runs from the CPU to the ram slot

:withstupid: That makes almost too much sense.... But who knows

Manufacture typically recommends to get it out for ten minutes to just make sure. It normally takes 2 minutes for my board with the battery trick and a matter of seconds with the reset switch.