Help, I just broke my computer badly :(

I was installing a new cpu cooler and then I took it out cause i didnt put the TIM on right,, so i reaplied the tim and put the cooler back in and now my computer wont boot at all,,

all i get is the vga fans surge and they have 3 red lights on them that blink 4 times then stop,, 4 times then stop and the led on the front of my case does the same thing at the same time.

I am unable to get to my bios or anything at all as it wont do anything but black screen,,, and the cards just sit there surging,

I may have flexed the mobo too much or static shocked something

any ideas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get any of the TIM on the motherboard? Some of them contain little bits of metal which could short out the components.

ok,, there was a bit on the mobo but it appears that it was a spot that the circuits are protected by some coating or something,, i wiped it off and the computer is still messed up,,, so maybe the damage was done by the tim or maybe its something else

Were you grounded b4 you started working on it?

And how much did u flex your board? because I have bent them a lot and it hasnt done anything

not grounded (yes I know very foolish)

i dont think I flexed it all that much but who knows

Do you have another board to swap out and test it? and if you do then ground yourself this time

no,, this was my first build so no other stuff laying around..

lol i need one of those silly wrist strap things ...

Does everything appear to turn on when you press the power button? Things like the PSU, CPU cooler, hard drives? If this all happens then I don't think you got anything with static. There may be something wrong with the graphics cards if everything turns on but you aren't getting any video output.

No static for sure. (experience :) i no its dumb, have used my bare hands alot of time doing this and that on my mobo) Next will get those hand stuff :)

Note: Wood was friend always, touched that before i did anything.

@CheeseMan42 : I have doubts on the gpu.

And check if you have fixed cooler or ur cpu pins are bent slightly, it happens sometimes.

Edited by get_saif

your motherboard is blinking or ur graphic card is blinking?

remove the card if that is the one and see if the computer starts

also near the fan and CPU, did u plug the 2nd motherboard power plug back in? I think it is 4 pin or 6 pin

Does everything appear to turn on when you press the power button? Things like the PSU, CPU cooler, hard drives? If this all happens then I don't think you got anything with static. There may be something wrong with the graphics cards if everything turns on but you aren't getting any video output.

every seems to be firing up,, all the fans are going,, cd drive fires up ,,, i dont know ubout hdd' s for sure,

I have had this same problem happen when i static shock the front usb port by accident execept that a restart always fixed it before.

i tried taking out one vga at a time and then tried them both out and with them both out the front panel led still flashes 4 times,, stops,, 4 times,,, stops etc

Edited by feetfats