A favor for a friend

sack_patrol

So I got this friend who wants a good PC rig to play games. Nothing extreme...he plays l4d2 so he wants to run that on max settings. I want his build to have a ATI Radeon 5780 or any of the 5XXX series. As for the other things, it doesn't matter. Intel or AMD..whatever. RAM should be 4Gb...or 3. The build should be arund 800$ less if possible. Any suggestions would be nice. I really wanna stress the price "as low as possible" but be able to run l4d2 on max + the 5XXX radeon. Thx guys.

What resolution?

For a gamer on a budget, you're going to want a nice AMD processor (there is no performance difference between comparable Intel and AMD processors in games as the GPU is almost always the bottleneck) because of the much lower prices. Memory should definitely be 4GB as Windows Vista / 7 can easily eat up the memory.

As for a video card, you're going to want to let us know what resolution he games at, but an HD5770 should definitely be enough to power Left 4 Dead 2 and even some more demanding games (once again, if he wants 3 x 30" monitors running Eyefinity, that's not going to happen on an HD5770), but a 1080P or below monitor would get you some nice framerates.

Noo, no way 3x30" It's probably going to be something smaller. Though as u said the 5770 would do the job on any single monitor. I can tell you that it isn't a 30" though.

AMD Phenom II 965

4GB of decent memory

790x motherboard

HD 5770

Choose the rest to his / your liking and he's set for Left 4 Dead 2 @ 60FPS.

Well Imma hit the sack but tomorrow I;ll look into newegg for some parts. Though I'm not sure if I can find parts that are cheap and at the same time capable of running games. I really need this to be like...the cheapest gaming rig ever. With the exception of the GPU. Anyways I'll continue tomorrow. Till then, suggestions for good/cheap parts are welcome.

I would go with the phenom II x2 550 aswell. It has a huge cache and can reach huge clock speeds, and i still believe 2 highly clocked cores is better for gaming that 4 standard cores in most games

i would go with the MSI 770-C45 motherboard and 4gb of good RAM. The ATI 4770 should be plenty of power on a 22" and enough for a 24" i think. Hope this helped

Edited by lankeyluke

Phenom II 955 X4 (not 965)

4GB 1600mhz or 1333mhz DDR3

nice 790X board

HD 4890

nice 500GB hdd

before I suggest and make a mock build for him, what does he have and what does he need (for example does he have a screen, keyboard, PSU, mouse etc.)

Heck, you can probably scan the marketplace here for decent deals on components to keep his budget down. I do like the idea of the Phenom II X2 550 since it is a great chip for the price.