Andrewr05

2010 Firearms discussion

Not true, there are a few states that do not require you to even be licensed or even trained at all to carry and many more that allow you to carry but leave the training up to you.

Off the top of my head (which isn't saying much herpa derp) I can't think of a state requiring you to be trained before you get a permit to carry a firearm but I know some do.

I've heard of "may-issue" states being ridiculously stringent too but still I think a lot of states do not require training.

Indeed. I cannot think of a state that requires training prior to the procurement of a permit to carry a weapon concealed, although there may be some. As I stated before and Andrew reiterated, it is usually up to the individual to familiarize themselves with their weapon.

Depends on what you mean by training. If you mean teaching how to handle firearms from the ground up, then no, I can't think of a single state that requires that. But many states (I would guess over half of the shall-issue states but I can't back that up without researching it) require "training" in the form of a 4-8 hour course that covers legalities of carry, use of deadly force and no-carry locations. The 8 hour courses typically require a basic demonstration of firearm proficiency, i.e. hit a 10 inch target reliably from varying distances. There are very few states that don't make you jump through several hoops in order to CC, and only two that allow it with no license.

Depends on what you mean by training. If you mean teaching how to handle firearms from the ground up, then no, I can't think of a single state that requires that. But many states (I would guess over half of the shall-issue states but I can't back that up without researching it) require "training" in the form of a 4-8 hour course that covers legalities of carry, use of deadly force and no-carry locations. The 8 hour courses typically require a basic demonstration of firearm proficiency, i.e. hit a 10 inch target reliably from varying distances. There are very few states that don't make you jump through several hoops in order to CC, and only two that allow it with no license.

Living in Georgia I have no hoops to jump through other than a trip down to the probate court and fingerprinting at the Sheriff's office. I have heard of states requiring such a course but, like you, couldn't comment on the numbers without doing research. I suppose half would be a safe guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number was actually lower. As far as I know, don't quote me, but GA, WA and PA don't require any safety certification, and I'm sure there are others. Like a lot of things, though, safety protocols may also vary from county to county.

Moral of the story: check your applicable state laws before pursuing a permit. Problem solved. :thumbs-up:

Edit: The only states not requiring any form of permit that I know of are Alaska and Vermont, although I've heard that Alaska does issue permits so I'm not sure how legally necessary it is to obtain one. Only downside to VT not issuing permits is your ability to carry concealed is not reciprocal in other states. GA, for example, carries reciprocity in multiple states, I think as many as 15. I'd have to check my permit to be totally sure, but it is a substantial number. Granted, you must adhere to all applicable state laws when carrying in a state where your permit is reciprocal, so again, do your homework.

Edited by Bizzlenitch

Alaska allows carry with no permit, but issues them to residents who request them for reciprocity purposes. In order to be issued a permit, a course is required. I think this is because many states with training requirements only accept other states with similar training requirements, so it helps improve reciprocity.

Kansas permits are recognized in 23 states and 22 states are recognized in Kansas. While the two lists are fairly similar, they aren't the same. Kansas only accepts states that have equal of greater standards for issue, so states like UT, PA and GA are out, but Alaska permits are okay. Now that I think about it, that means there are at least 22 states that require some sort of training course.

But yeah, brush up on your legalese and do your homework.

According to the latest release I could locate from the GA State Attorney General GA's license is granted reciprocity in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

23 strong (24 including VT), seems I underestimated with my off-hand guess of 15. So it seems likely that the states requiring some sort of formal safety training does indeed fall somewhere in the 50% range (again, conjecture). I hate to beat a dead horse, but check with your state. It's unfortunate that there isn't nationwide reciprocity, but I completely understand and support the individual states' rights to legislate and regulate the carrying of a weapon within their borders. The beauty of our wonderful union.

Edited by Bizzlenitch

Well, that was entertaining but not very informative. Here's a little more info on the "open carry" Starbuck's debate going on.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/faci...-hands/19381679

Speaking of open carry, there are also states that let you open carry without the need of any permit at all. I don't know how many there are but I know when I lived in Maine they allowed open carry without a permit. CC still required a permit.

Well, that was entertaining but not very informative. Here's a little more info on the "open carry" Starbuck's debate going on.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/faci...-hands/19381679

Speaking of open carry, there are also states that let you open carry without the need of any permit at all. I don't know how many there are but I know when I lived in Maine they allowed open carry without a permit. CC still required a permit.

Wisconsin is one of them, we do not have CC however.

I picked my new handgun up today :)

Only a .22LR but it should be fun and cheap to shoot.

post-66459-1267765698_thumb.jpgpost-66459-1267765706_thumb.jpg

Vermont as well, no permit required for CC either...

If I may be so bold as to direct this thread into a different direction, I have recently been handed on a Heym 80B rifle from my granddad in the caliber 9.3x74R :) Just thought I'd share the news, it's an extremely elegant side-by-side rifle, but the cartirdge is a bit of a handful. What I mean by that is that it's a HUGE mofo! Check out this picture showing a couple of cartidges (left to right: 30-06, 8x57 Mauser, 9.3x74R, 9mm Luger and .30 Luger:

97497493.jpg

Again, that's just some random picture of the internet, I am not at home right now, otherwise I'd take pictures of the gun itself :)

Link to the product website: http://www.heymusa.com/80_B.htm

Link to a random picture I found on the web: http://i2.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictu...551/2551946.jpg <-- 56k beware!

[Edit] Found another decent picture:

Merkel-141-Open-Lge.jpg

Edited by kingdingeling

That is a very nice rifle! Take excellent care of it.

I also became the owner of a Bushmaster AR a few weeks back. I vowed I'd never own one, but... the price was right.

My two cents

The state of South Carolina requires a trainig course by a Lic, shooting instrutor before a CC permit can be applied for.

I dont have a CC but keep a handgun in the house and have for years. Had to use it once ( not something I want to do again) but will if I have too.

Got rid of all my long guns, used to hunt but not any more .

I have come to think deer have more right to life then the dummies running the streets