Surround not working with Media Player

TRWeiss1

Ok, so I've got a Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI soundcard and a Klipsch 4 speaker + woofer setup that works PHENOMENALLY except for with Windows Media Player. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, and it seems like no matter what I do I just cannot get the surround working in Media Player! All I want to do is be able to play music through all speakers...that's it. I get audio through the front 2 speakers and the woofer, but not the rears. Well, actually if you listen VERY closely (as in put your ear RIGHT up to each rear speaker) there's a faint hint of audio coming from the rear speakers (mind you all levels of each speaker are maxed).

Windows recognizes all the speakers just fine, as I can play audio out of all 4 in the test utility. All audio plays through the test utility at a uniform volume. Also, I get sound from all of them in all of my games. Even PowerDVD plays audio throughout all 4 speakers. I thought I might have some luck downloading/installing the codec which some people reported fixed this problem, but it most certainly did not in my case. :( EVERYTHING is working great except for the surround sound in Windows Media Player.

Anyone have any helpful advice? I'd really appreciate it! :) Thanks!

Edited by TRWeiss1

if you have CCCP installed make sure you configure it to surround sound

what file are you trying to play in surround sound btw? a DVD movie?

an MP3 music file is not going to use the rear speakers EVAR (unless you force it in your sound card settings)

if you're trying to play music through surround, you need to enable CMSS stereo surround or stereo upmix modes to get sound through the rears on an X-Fi

it can be available in the mixer/speaker panels of the X-Fi software, although you might need to use Daniel K's software package to get it

you might also find the CMSS options in the Audio Console

if you're trying to play a mulit-channel movie/video in WMP, then you *may* need to use AC3 Filter

Thanks for the help guys. :) I did actually enable CMSS stereo surround, but unfortunately it didn't make a difference. :(

Also, yes I'm trying to get MP3's to play from the rear speakers....This worked just fine in Windows XP with the same exact hardware setup, so it's GOT to be an OS issue (at least I would think). I really wish there was just some sort of 4 channel stereo mode or something....ugh...