Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad

WhenKittensATK

I'm interested in the game but there's no way I could buy this without trying it first. I bought the first game because I heard it was great and nobody said anything about it really but when I got I really couldn't stand it for various reasons but my biggest problem with it was the pace I think, it's an extremely slow game. It doesn't really help that the game isn't newbie friendly at all either, when you can combine the fact that it takes forever to get anywhere with the fact that once you get there all you're really going to do is die, it's a really depressing game.

I do like the fact that the game has a special discount for owners of the first game though, I wish more games had this going on, I know I'd probably pre-order more games out there if they did it.

RO2 fixes most of the issues in RO1. Check out the video in sig.

From the Darkest Hour thread, when you bought the game :P

I'm not gonna lie, this game has a steep learning curve. But once you get over that hump, its more enjoyable. Most players seem to quit the game after the first 5 - 10 minutes :P.

Once you get over the hump, you can do this consistently :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjl0ZRBMFk

Edited by Krazyxazn

RO2 fixes most of the issues in RO1. Check out the video in sig.

From the Darkest Hour thread, when you bought the game :P

Once you get over the hump, you can do this consistently :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVjl0ZRBMFk

I don't know, I tried it for quite a while, I don't know if steam carries the time from one game to another in this case but I have 3 hours logged into Red Orchestra and 2 hours into Darkest Hour, but I just couldn't seem to make them enjoyable. A lot of it is just the slow pace though, traveling takes a long time on foot on some maps and that's while sprinting, when you consider the fact that you can only sprint about 20 feet before needing to rest for 20 minutes, it's a little depressing is all. :lol:

I'm glad I watched all 3 of your videos as i was impressed by how much efforts the devs seems to be putting into this game. It looks like they genuinely care about their fans which is awesome. I just don't have the drive for old war sims.

And honestly it makes me wonder how big the player base will be. I will watch for Steam deals but how many people will stick with the game by the time that happens? I hate throw this statement out there because I play a lot of old games with crappy graphics, but I don't see the graphics of this game enticing people to break the typical FPS mode. Which is shame because these are EXACTLY the kind of developers I want to see succeed. Just because I'm not in old war FPS games don't get the wrong idea - I am cheering this game on. I didn't until I saw your 3 videos and saw how much effort they are putting into it. Great job on those btw.

Red Orchestra 1 isn't a very popular game, but it has a fairly dedicated player base. So does Darkest Hour mod. This screenshot was just taken of the server browser in both games (Filter = No empty servers, No bots, VAC enabled).

The graphics look similar to Source engine, although it is on Unreal Engine 3. But honestly its the gameplay where it really shines. The pace is a bit faster, the animations are faster, and there is a lot more functionality. The running duration has been increased.

Tripwire said they are in the process of creating HD videos to put out, so I'll just wait for that.

redorchestra20110809180.jpg

redorchestra20110809181.jpg

===================================

There seems to be some conflicting information flying around from different Tripwire post. The community manager says there will be other ways to get into the big closed beta. We'll probably find out in a week or two.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Well if there ends up being a way into the beta other than pre-purchase then I think I'll try to get into it. I normally don't like doing betas but I really do want to give this game a chance after hearing they might have fixed a lot of things.

Beta Tester Q/A

Q:

Do classes with bolt action rifles also have pistols too?

A:

They're an unlockable for all classes, yes. Less frustrating for riflemen who get stuck in close combat this way.

Q:

How many maps have you tried in the beta and more importantly, are they good? Do you get the sense of certain maps becoming instant classics?

A:

All 10 maps. I think they're all pretty good, though I haven't played them all extensively.

Q:

Is the classic RO atmosphere still there? Are the battles long, tense and bloody?

A:

Yes, it feels like Red Orchestra with better graphics!

Q:

Has the game been 'consolised' at all? As in, anything that feels toned down compared to the first game in order to try and reach the modern fps crows? Running speed, iron sight speed, things like that?

A:

No, it doesn't feel 'consolized' at all. However, they did merge the cover and bandage buttons last build but it works really well anyway, taking cover automatically bandages you now. Run speed and ironsight speed are actually faster.

Q:

What's with the low graphics in your screenshots?

A:

They aren't low settings exactly, however lots of the graphical options don't appear to do anything [yet].

It looks like shadows are either on or off, detail seems to work, textures seem to work. post processing doesn't work. Using the Ultra preset doesn't work, so I'm going to assume anything that Ultra sets isn't in, and the difference between normal and high is extra objects on the ground and slightly higher texture resolution.

Q:

Can you give us an idea of some of the weaker points of the game? What needs improvement?

A:

The graphics aren't that amazing, because they're not a huge studio. I also dislike Countdown with small numbers of players.

Q:

How will players give commands [aside from voice/chat?

A:

There will be a commo rose but the art is certainly not final yet.

Q:

The Grain Elevator map looks awesome, do you know how many stories of it are actually accessible to the player?

A:

You can go right up the top floor I believe. You see there is a balcony there? Shooting people from that is hilariously effective right now because not many people know it's there.

Q:

If you're severely wounded are you basically useless? Would it be better to just eat a grenade and respawn or can you still be useful to the team?

A:

If you're severely wounded you're going to die in a few seconds anyway, but you can still fire so its sometimes possible to take out the guy who killed you. Anything below a critical wound doesn't affect your performance past bleeding though, and that that limb will be easier to hurt next time.

Basically though if you get into a firefight most of the time you're going to come out of it dead or uninjured, or maybe with a wound to bandage.

[Pictured] - What you see as you start to bleed out. Doesn't really do it justice though. All colour drains away and your sound starts to fade out. That picture was about a second before I keeled over.

Q:

What does MG tracer fire look like now? I think I remember hearing that you guys were stepping away from the laser looking . from RO1.

A:

They're ball tracers now. They only just got implemented and they look pretty neat. They also ricochet nicely.

Q:

How does the commander thing work? Does that person have to be glued to a radio the whole game? Can they do anything more than just calling in a spotter plane and artillery?

A:

They only have to be glued to the radio for the recon plane to work. They call in artillery, can place orders on the map (which you get points for following) and can force everyone who is dead to jump the respawn timer and respawn instantly.

Q:

Is there in-game voice chat?

A:

Yes, and the codec isn't .ing terrible either. You have 3 buttons, squad chat, team chat, and all chat.

Q:

I heard that your team's voices are in English while the enemy is in native language. Is this default?

A:

Yes, and will be default at launch too.

Q:

Based on what you have played which is better, RO1 or 2?

A:

I prefer RO2, as it plays like RO1 but with better graphics, less frustrating deaths, larger maps, and more players per map.

Q:

Let's talk gore!

A:

Gore is limb removal, bullethole decals on characters, and blood splatters on the floor and walls. Characters call out when they're shot, and the death animations are all ragdoll / animation composites, similar to Euphoria, but they're using PhysX instead so it doesn't totally murder your CPU. For example: Shoot a guy in the heart -> Blood splatters out behind him -> He drops his gun, clutches at his wound, and falls backwards -> He falls down the stairs he was climbing up. He comes to a rest at the bottom and sags as the life fades out of him.

Q:

Let's talk about the commander

A:

This is the commander UI [image]. If you bring up the map you can see this anywhere, but you can only force a respawn anywhere. If you use a radio you can call in artillery, and air recon

Recon calls in a slow and low recon plane that will report to you the location of people it can see, if you are stood near a radio. You get these reports instantly, your squad leaders get them soon after you, and the people below that get them after the squad leaders.

Artillery is designated using your binoculars, or your squad leaders, who can send you a recommended artillery target which you can accept.

Q:

Are there also decreasing penetration for tank Shells and the PTRS bullet the longer it gets fired?

A:

All guns penetrate worse and do less damage if their round travels for longer, not just tank and PTRS shells.

Q:

What's with the lack of footage?

A:

About maybe 2 weeks ago we had a journalist from PCGUS who was supposedly there filming footage, though he might have just been taking screenshots.

Q:

Do tanks have different ammo rounds?

A:

No, just AP, HE, and Smoke.

RO1 did later add tanks with HEAT and stuff though, so probably the same will happen here.

Q:

How does destruction work?

A:

It's small scale stuff. Roofs can be blown off, non enterable houses can be destroyed, enterable houses can be visually damaged. There are also patches on internal walls where you can place a satchel and they will create a hole you can go through which is neat!

Q: Why are you telling/showing us all this?

A:

Basically if tripwire is mad about this I will stop. I've been posting trying to sell the game to you guys, not in a clandestine way but because I genuinely enjoy the game and know you lot will too!

Screenshot -- http://i.imgur.com/tfMGY.jpg

Server Admin -- http://i.imgur.com/NHDXg.jpg

Edited by Krazyxazn

I want this game so bad, and I never even played the first one, I supposed I should though eh?

Don't, the first game is beyond un-user friendly :D

Rumor goes the closed beta will begin tomorrow for the anniversary of German invasion of Russia. The Dev in the video said you already got beta or beta will release soon, depends on when this video is released :D

==========

New RO2 MP video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-red-orchestra/719542

Edited by Krazyxazn

This is video that was taken while playing a very early beta build of Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is exclusive footage that I captured and am posting with permission from the developers Tripwire Interactive for publication at Voodoo Extreme.

Please keep in mind that this was captured while playing an early beta build, so there are some bugs like gun sights that are off center at a few points, and a couple goofy / missing sound effects. TWI has since added a lot of polish to the game.

Visit Voodoo Extreme at ve3d.ign.com for all your Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad news.

19 Minute Footage of WW2's equivalent noob tube (SMG) :D Keep in mind that most maps only allow 3-4 SMG slots per team (Excluding the Squad Leader / Commander Classes). Most will be Riflemen.

It looks like Voodoo Extreme will be giving out beta keys 1 week before release (DDE Preorders get it 2 weeks before).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXHWPzTPskY

Edited by Krazyxazn