WhenKittensATK

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkk3SiywLHI

There was a podcast live interview today with the president of Tripwire by Crossfire.

Things from the podcast:

Mod Support (Already 1-3 mods in side by side development with the game) Full SDK out of box

2011 Release

Clan support

Maps will scale based on amount of players (Probably similar to BF2, in that every map is suited for a big 64 player server. However you can shrink the amount of playable areas for smaller servers)

PC release only

3 Manned Tank crews, optional AI tank crew

Beta sometime this year

Insight on how they developed the game and the changes that were made from RO1 to RO2.

Personal run servers along with dedicated servers

Only 1 Hero per team

Thinking of using VAC as an anti-cheat

Persistent ranking similar to America's Army (You start out at X rank. If you team kill a lot, you downrank and are forced to play in servers with others with other griefers.)

Weapon upgrades as you rank (nothing crazy like CoD: WaW. An example would be the Kar98k rifle for the Sniper. He will unlock a really tiny scope, then eventually 2x, 4x, and 6x scopes.)

Some of the abilities will be like a slight reduction in recoil (nothing crazy like CoD, as they are trying to keep it to realistic things)

Tanks in maps range from 1-2 as support for infantry in urban maps. Also big tank maps.

No airplanes.

Commanders can now do small mortar strikes up to large rocket strikes (yes sir they had rockets in WW2).

Edited by Krazyxazn

PC Gamer US: Major RO2 feature

5 Page article from a world exclusive first playtest (lucky fellow). Sadly you need to buy the magazine to read it :( It's the January edition not the already released Holiday edition. I'm just gonna wait for some scans to pop up.

ibajlG.jpg

Edited by Krazyxazn

Posted by a Dev relating to some chatter about the headline written by PC Gamer above.

There are many ways to "beat" CODBO. I'll list them out here and my thoughts on our capability to do so:

1) Sales - Obviously we won't beat them on total sales because RO2 isn't also a console game. Beating them in PC sales even would certainly be tough, but getting in the same ballpark is certainly achievable. Especially considering they've said that PC sales only account for 4% of their million of units sold.

2) Reviews - This is totally doable. If you look at the metacritic scores for the original RO and PC Black Ops you'll see the original RO has a metacritic of 81 and BO has a metacritic of 83. So as long as we make a game that is better than the original RO (which is what we're trying to do) we could beat them in reviews.

3) Long Term Player Counts - I put long term player counts here, because most any game has lots of players playing it the week of release. What really matters is will people be playing it months down the road. This is an area where we'll have a hard time beating them until we catch up on #1 above. Our strategy of long term support and free content for our games however certainly is good for us in this regard. Both RO and KF have added a LOT of players and sales over time to keep the player counts up and a big reason for this is our post release support.

4) Long Term Customer Satisfaction - I know this is hard to measure but if you look at the philosophy of Activision vs the philosophy of TWI in how we treat our customers you'll understand what I mean. The Activision philosophy is to release a game and then either quickly move on, or nickel and dime the customer with paid DLC. The Tripwire philosophy is to give the customer good value at release, and increasing value post release in the form of free DLC (maps, weapons, vehicles, etc), and some non-essential optional paid DLC (like the Killing Floor character packs). We stand by our games for the long haul, and this is not always something that can be said about Activision and the COD series.

5) Expandability - We'll destroy BO in this area. With a MOD SDK released BEFORE the game ships (its already in the hands of a mod team) and multiple total conversion mods already in development (Pacific Theatre WWII, Vietnam, and WWI) we're going to win this fight hands down. This combined with our support for mod teams and our pattern of releasing mods for our games over Steam so they are easy to get into the hands of the fans really gives us the edge here.

6) PC Functionality - Another area where we should beat BO hands down. With a full dedicated server, web based server administration tools, 64 player MP support, and a dev team focused only on a PC version this is an area where we can and will shine.

So these are my thoughts on this headline I would also encourage everyone to keep in mind that RO1 is not RO2 (even though that "niche" game has sold almost half a million units). We are making a game that is aimed to be much more accessible than the first RO while still staying true to its tactical shooter roots. We were a new company with almost no money and resources when we made RO1 5 years ago. We're much more experienced now have a lot more resources than when we made the first RO. So to quote Darth Vader "when we last met I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Interesting listening to the Crosshair podcast interview with John GIbson. Talking about some RO1, RO2, Killing Floor, PC Gaming outlook (3D/Valve and Steam), his thoughts on other games (CoD: BO and Battlefield), and some other things.

Something interesting he mentioned was the sound director for the HBO mini-series Pacific is the person doing sound for Red Orchestra 2.

His grudge against one of the CoD 2 programmers :D The way described it reminded me so much of the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley." When Bill tries to get the attention of Steve and Steve just blows him off.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Crosshairs live talk show with Tripwire Interactive (Started @ 1pm US EST today, 8 mins ago)

Things I heard:

Spawning on Squad Leader

Being near Hero causes less suppression

M60 in In Country mod (Vietnam)

No new gameplay footage, because the game is still in development (not ready yet)

No beta date, because they feel that they need to finish the game first. Reason being most players play the beta to determine if a game is good or not. (Beta = bug reporting and not final product) So they dont want players judging their game and saying its bad because of a beta build. Beta release when they are close to finishing.

Suppression in the game (adds into the immersion of the game, not quite like Darkest Hour. Doesn't need bullets flying pass you, teammates dying near you give you the fear effect of suppression too.)

Bullet penetration will be based on material types

Motorcycle with side car ?

AI Tank Crews are on priority swap (if your loader dies, an AI will swap positions and etc)

Melee system will be similar to RO1, but they will try to make it easier to hit people with it (RO1 melee was hard)

Weapons can't be shot out of hands* (might have misheard him)

Fixed MGs spawn in random positions of the map (Heavy MGs with tripod. Cannot be moved. You can duck down and blind fire.)

VOIP (Team All Talk, Squad Talk, Commander to Squad Leaders Talk)

Weapon Customizations (ammo boxes/drum/mag, selective fire, scope magnifications) Not CoD style, less and more authentic.

Supporting the mod teams. Good mods will be added to their Steam like previous ones for RO1. That's really the best way to support them. Not many players are gonna search modding sites, so if you have a mod that is also in a place where you bought the original game. You're bound to try it out vs searching randomly for a mod.

Edited by Krazyxazn

This won't just beat BO, it will wipe it off the face of the earth with some nuclear bombs :lol:

Seriously though, this game will be on my purchase list from Steam when it comes out, I watched my brother play the first one but for some reason never came around to playing it and now the second one is coming out so I will def. get that. This game is pretty realistic so CoD players will probably not like it(Not a run and gun bunny hop game!)

Call of Duty will still prevail and you all know it. When Modern Warfare 3 is released this fall half of RO's player base will be wiped off the face of the planet.. by a video game.

Edited by FUZi0N

Call of Duty will still prevail and you all know it. When Modern Warfare 3 is released this fall half of RO's player base will be wiped off the face of the planet.. by a video game.

Maybe not in terms of sales. But in terms of quality gameplay most definitively (RO2). RO2 is a PC exclusive through and through.

All those diehard PC gamers who keep complaining about no mod tools, big player caps, dedicated servers, and etc that don't pick up this game should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Krazyxazn