955BE overclocking

wormy

Ok Ive managed to get to 3.9 so far but it's not OCCT stable and was wondering what else I should adjust to help make it stable its a Gigibybe TA790GXE 128M mother Board, AMD 955BE, 4gb Gskill ddr2 1066(I think I have a memory issue it wont run 1066 with out crashing at all even stock, so I lowered it down to 667 for now) if i left anything else out ask me and ill get it for you. Thanks in advance. Ive included a screenshot of amd overdrive and cpuz

post-14379-1263663853_thumb.png

Edited by wormy

You should overclock using bios, not software. A software overclock, is a fake overclock.

Yup, Like he said. The AOD dashboard is really a testing program for your system. It will allow you to see what works without killing your bios but you should take notes on the settings that seem to work in AOD the best and punch them in the bios. It will be alot more stable. Biostar motherboards aren't as user friendly as ASUS and Gigabyte so be careful.

Edited by Hedghawg71

I am using the Bios to overclock I was just using the AOD program to show settings its reading. this is what i have so far CPU-Z Page I decided to raise the bus speed rather than the multi on it for now to see what I could reach. what kind of volts should i be running thru the north bridge and the ht link. i think thats what they are called.

Edited by wormy

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a google search brought me to this topic.

I have an AM3 955 quad BE and the Biostar TA790GXE 128M

I got mine to be stable in Prime95 at 3.9Ghz and 1.4125 volts. Of course it runs hot under full load... around 58C. I have a huge aftermarket cooler on. I wouldn't even try that with the stock cooler.

I tried to get it to 4.0Ghz but it kept blue screening. At 1.4375 volts, Prime95 ran for one minute before blue screened. I guess I could have went higher but the CPU was getting wicked hot under full load. So I dropped it back to 3.9Ghz and that is that.

Only reason I bought the 955BE CPU was because I only play one game, World of Warcraft. And blizzard tells everyone that the game uses more of the CPU and less of the GPU. I had a tri core AM2+ 2.4Ghz that was overclocked to 3.0Ghz but was getting low FPS in 25man raids. I bought the 955 and yes it did improve .. but only a very little bit. Not what I was expecting. Using a 9800GT 512meg card and 3 gigs of ram.

edit... oops I see you have the C2 955. I bought the C3 which supposed to fix the 1600Mhz ram problem. This motherboard only supports DDR2 tho so I guess I bought it for a future upgrade lol.

Edited by Bodycount

I am using the Bios to overclock I was just using the AOD program to show settings its reading. this is what i have so far CPU-Z Page I decided to raise the bus speed rather than the multi on it for now to see what I could reach. what kind of volts should i be running thru the north bridge and the ht link. i think thats what they are called.

best way to oc is the mutiplier. u should be able to get 3.8 stable. just by setting the multiplier to 19x and vcore to 1.5v or even less. but keep in mind ur suppost to raise it slowly.

Doing a google search brought me to this topic.

I have an AM3 955 quad BE and the Biostar TA790GXE 128M

I got mine to be stable in Prime95 at 3.9Ghz and 1.4125 volts. Of course it runs hot under full load... around 58C. I have a huge aftermarket cooler on. I wouldn't even try that with the stock cooler.

I tried to get it to 4.0Ghz but it kept blue screening. At 1.4375 volts, Prime95 ran for one minute before blue screened. I guess I could have went higher but the CPU was getting wicked hot under full load. So I dropped it back to 3.9Ghz and that is that.

Only reason I bought the 955BE CPU was because I only play one game, World of Warcraft. And blizzard tells everyone that the game uses more of the CPU and less of the GPU. I had a tri core AM2+ 2.4Ghz that was overclocked to 3.0Ghz but was getting low FPS in 25man raids. I bought the 955 and yes it did improve .. but only a very little bit. Not what I was expecting. Using a 9800GT 512meg card and 3 gigs of ram.

edit... oops I see you have the C2 955. I bought the C3 which supposed to fix the 1600Mhz ram problem. This motherboard only supports DDR2 tho so I guess I bought it for a future upgrade lol.

yeah its all about the gpu when gaming. but thing you upgraded now if u upgrade ur gpu it wont bottleneck it.

yeah its all about the gpu when gaming. but thing you upgraded now if u upgrade ur gpu it wont bottleneck it.

But Blizzard tells everyone that the game uses more of the CPU than the GPU. A good CPU will go further than a good GPU. And they said a 9800GT 512meg should be able to run the game on high settings just fine.

For other games I agree, they use the GPU more. But I dont play other games.

Well anyways.. I'm thinking of parting out my wifes computer since she doesn't use it anymore since she got her laptop. Then using that money to buy a Geforce 265 or maybe a 275 card if I get enough money off the sales which hopefully will solve my warcraft problems.

But Blizzard tells everyone that the game uses more of the CPU than the GPU. A good CPU will go further than a good GPU. And they said a 9800GT 512meg should be able to run the game on high settings just fine.

For other games I agree, they use the GPU more. But I dont play other games.

Well anyways.. I'm thinking of parting out my wifes computer since she doesn't use it anymore since she got her laptop. Then using that money to buy a Geforce 265 or maybe a 275 card if I get enough money off the sales which hopefully will solve my warcraft problems.

Don't even think about buying a 265 or a 275. That would be the most unwise decision right next to making a new build with a 775 socket. Go ATI right now. There is literally 0 reason to buy a GTX as of this post. Especially when there is no such thing as a 265. Go for a Radeon 5XXX series card or wait for Fermi(Rumored for March release)

Edited by headbangerbuggy

Don't even think about buying a 265 or a 275. That would be the most unwise decision right next to making a new build with a 775 socket. Go ATI right now. There is literally 0 reason to buy a GTX as of this post. Especially when there is no such thing as a 265. Go for a Radeon 5XXX series card or wait for Fermi(Rumored for March release)

I've always bought nvidia. Since way back when I bought a Geforce 4 card. I've owned a Geforce 4, 6800, 7600, 8800gts 320meg, and now 9800gt 512meg.

I was thinking about this card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814261053

the price range is right around where I want to spend. And the core and shader clocks are faster at stock speeds than other 260's.

Edited by Bodycount

I've always bought nvidia. Since way back when I bought a Geforce 4 card. I've owned a Geforce 4, 6800, 7600, 8800gts 320meg, and now 9800gt 512meg.

I was thinking about this card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814261053

the price range is right around where I want to spend. And the core and shader clocks are faster at stock speeds than other 260's.

No, you don't get it. You really need to do your research. That card is outdated technology. It would sincerely be an insipid use of money right now. No DX11, heck, you'd be missing out on a plethora of new features. It's not even as good of a performer as other cards for the price.