360 and PC gfx(again)

00stevo

I started this thread cos i was curious as to what people felt on the subject.For instance,i pretty much boycotted consoles around the launch of 360,because i had just got the pc bug,and i was compelled to build a nice computer.So as the years passed and my knowledge grew,ive ended up with the system i have now and ive got so used to 60fps gaming,i didnt know anything else.Gears of war on PC.60 fps,1080p res,solid,but was i happy? NO.I wanted a 360.So i got it,fired up PGR4,and.....meh.30fps? In a racing game? Unacceptable imo.The same happened with Gow 2 and mirrors edge.They are still playable by all means,but running them at 30fps when im so used to 60 makes it look like its running in slow motion at times.So rant over,i hate 30fps,what about you guys?

I'm not bothered if its 30 fps or 60 fps on my PC. I mean, the majority of the games I run nowadays run at 30 fps or a bit above just because of all the graphic options I enable and my older video card. So for me, if I hit 30 fps on a PC game, its smooth enough for me. I run Dragon Age at about 30-35 fps and I have no issues.. same with Oblivion, Fallout 3, The Witcher, Dawn of War II.. anything really. I'm not bothered by 30 fps since its all I've been running at for about a year or so now. Once I get a new PC and can run games above 60 fps, I know I'll be happy with that. But for now, I'm perfectly fine with 30 fps or so. About the only game I run close to 60 fps is Torchlight lol.

For the consoles, it depends. I got Madden 09 on my 360 since it ran at 60 fps compared to 30 fps on the PS3. But thats a sports game where the higher fps matters.. for most other games, I really don't give a damn. I'm just not bothered by framerates anymore haha.. so long as I can run the game and I don't notice any slowdowns, I'm happy with it.

I don't have a 360 personally but I know what you are talking about from seeing it on other's 360's. To me it isn't that big of a deal, I've played games like crysis, mirror's edge, call of duty 4, and more with 15-20 on my previous build so I'm pretty appreciative of my current build. I guess I really just don't notice unless for the most part though, though there are times I notice obvious frame rate drops in some games on consoles, though I've experienced this on pc with certain games as well, fallout 3 for example.

I've experienced this on pc with certain games as well, fallout 3 for example.

yeah i heared fallout 3 had quite a few memory leaks, that may be the cause of the slowdowns

On my 360 i had some sirious slowdowns while playing Too human whenever a horde came my way <_<

As for 30fps vs 60, im contempt as long as i can play all my games above 35 ;)

yeah i heared fallout 3 had quite a few memory leaks, that may be the cause of the slowdowns

You are indeed right fo3 does have memory leaks.It doesnt cause any slowdowns though.I learnt that by editing the ini fie and capping my fps to 50fps with all high(not very high) settings it runs flawless with the occasional crash.

im contempt as long as i can play all my games above 35 ;)

Maybe you arent seeing the true difference between 30 and 60fps.As i said in another thread,i was genuinly shocked when i loaded up gow 1 on my pc,then played gow 2 on 360.The frame rate difference can be a game breaker imo.

^^ screwed that one up :D Cant be bothered to edit it,im off to bed!

:lol: i was wondering why you quoted me straight up and then realised a few seconds later :P

And I agree with you! While im contempt to play may games above 35fps, it will never compare to the playing experience at a full 60fps, so my habit is to max the games out Visually (and play in my native res)

Then i go snooping arround in the INI files to further enhance image quality, THEN cap it all at 60fps with Tripple buffering, works great for me :)

ofcourse it can be a bit fiddley and time consuming modifying the variables for example -

[TextureLODSettings]

//TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)

Change anything too high and you will get crashes, and vise versa. But i think once its all set up its worth the trouble in the end :)

considering i will play games at 15-20fps for the full experience ie max settings. anything that is 30 or higher does the trick. the one thing that does bug me is no 360 game is 1080 or for that matter 720. everything is upscaled from 480 range. but it looks the same on my tv as a computer hooked up to it at 1080. so for the masses it doesn't matter 30/60 fps or upscaled to 1080.

Meh, I am I guess one of those "upper class gamers", I can't deal with anything under like 45 FPS even 50FPS. Except maybe Crysis but other games its just bleh. Then again the my HD4870 loves to skip around from 60 to like 40 so its very easy to see <_< (Last time I went with ATI, damn jumps in FPS everytime with ATI cards)

here's the PC Compensation Thread - knew one was coming

Good in theory, bad in practice - games never run at a steady framerate (pc or console - but more prevelant on pc). There are times my computer will be at 100 FPS in a game and next second its down to 25 ...and that drives me absolutely batnuts. Consoles drop down in framerates too, but from what I seen in gaming both on the PC (mostly on the PC) and on the consoles is that even though the Max (for fps) is higher on the PC so is the variance. And like I said in the PC vs Console debate - find me a PC built in 2005 that can compete with the 360 in terms of FPS on today's games. Oh wait, that's right PC Gamers spend $800+ every year or every other year just to compete with a $200 console.

Far as graphics go, if I showed you Uncharted 2 on the PS3 or MW2 on the 360 with my TV, your jaw would drop. Some of the older games may not have been able to hit 720p but the newer games sure do ...and they upconvert very well. GoW2 is a great game but definitely not one I'd use to showcase what a console is capable of. They really didn't improve upon the graphics from the original game ...which was pretty darn good for 2006 but its 3yrs+ later and things improve. Not to mention people play GoW2 for the gameplay (horde mode rocks), not for the graphics.

But like Krazy said, I'll still hand it to people. I game on the platform that has the fun games - that's all that matters to me. I mean ffs, I still play StarCraft. And I still enjoy watching those movies even though I think they are in 640x400 (or even lower) and are pixelated as all get out with today's monitors.

edit: GoW actually came out in 2006, damn didn't think its been that long :O

Edited by Fogel

I personally don't think this is a pc vs 360 debate as much as it's an inquiry on the 30fps matter.

Really I think the PC vs 360 debate's hardware aspect comes down to whether you prefer proprietary or not. I console gamer most likely has no real interest in picking out the hardware or overclocking or making their case look pretty or whatever you can think of doing with a pc, while a pc gamer probably doesn't like the idea of being limited to only one option every 5-10 years. As for building a 2005 pc to compete with the 360, this isn't possible as the 360 was ahead of it's time for when it release, a 3.2ghz triple core with hyperthreading wasn't something pc had really considered at that time and as such it's a proprietary piece of hardware made by IBM just like the ATI graphics in the 360, and being proprietary and knowing they would have to try to make this console last, which in my opinion resulted poorly because as we have all seen, the 360 failure rate isn't low. You also have to take into account that any OS you put on PC is more capable than the 360's OS but because of that it uses up more resources and 360 has a proprietary OS that is designed to use as little power as possible. Also most gaming pc's are black and the 360 is mostly white(aside from the elite) so pc draws in more heat. :D

PC vs 360 debate isn't worth it, I just kind of rambled about it there and that's about all a real PC vs console debate amounts to because almost everyone that would compete in such a debate is going to have a bias opinion.