Sign in to follow this  
CheeseMan42

Question About Case Fans.

My case fans have 2 connectors coming off them. One with plugs and the other with four holes. My question is where do i connect the fans because i don't see anywhere to plug them on my motherboard and don't have enough connections on my power supply to do all of them individually. Should i connect two fans together and then to the power supply. If it helps any i have 6 fans. 2 in front, 2 in rear, 1 on side, 1 on top.

Connecting two or three together should be fine. Don't hook up four or more, because the one connector can"t handle them all, and they may go slower, or stop completely.

Connecting two or three together should be fine. Don't hook up four or more, because the one connector can"t handle them all, and they may go slower, or stop completely.

yeah, the reason they have "two connectors" is exactly for the reason you stated. Your PSU connectors are all taken. So basically you just disconnect one of the connectors and then "insert" the fan using the two connectors. It's like having a y-connector attached to the fan. Most fans have it that way.

well you can dazychain up to 5or6 fans if im not mistaken!!! Just as long as there not like.. deltas or some powerfull fan.. :P

Quote :" i don't see anywhere to plug them on my motherboard and don't have enough connections on my power supply "

There are some fan hedders (3 or 4 pins plugs) on the mobo but i'm the kind who's not taking a chance on using them, i never plug more than a 40mm fan in those.

As for your psu molex, if your wattage/amps are good enough get "Y" splitters from any online PC store they're like $1 ea

http://www.pcmods.com/index.asp?PageAction...PROD&ProdID=438

i wish i red this b4 i blew out my 200w :lol:

If you're on these forums, you should NOT be using a 200w psu anyways! Unless it was your old p1 system or something. lol

i looked at the fans and they say 12v dc. what part of the power supply do i need to look at to see how many i can put together?

If you still have the manual for your PSU that is the best reference. The fans say 12v dc but you need to know the power consumption, (watts.) You may need to convert back to amps to know how many you can daisy chain. Your psu manual probably quotes max amps per line.

I have a thermaltake 480watt psu and I have no problem daisychaining four fans with led's , two laser leds and two optical drives off one line. So if you have a half decent power supply I wouldn't worry about putting all your fans on one line. Keep your Cpu fan on a low load line though!

crash