How efficient is Windows 7?

sack_patrol

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say its worth it. I went from Xp -> Vista -> Xp -> Vista -> Win 7

Vista runs pretty good now with all of its updates. But it still carries that stigma by many others from its launch. I honestly never had any issues with Vista at launch other than the gaming performance, which was why I went back to Xp the first time. Now Vista is about on par with Xp in gaming performance, maybe a difference of ~1-5 fps.

You can get Win 7 for $30 if your a college student: http://www.win741.com/ (Yes, it's a legit site)

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

* 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

* 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

* 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

* DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

O_o.............I think I'm sticking with XP. They better come up with something less sucky and ghey looking. Until games stop running on XP, thats what I'll use. Seeing how things are going, I'm safe for a while. I don't mind this DX50 and grafix n other bs.

O_o.............I think I'm sticking with XP. They better come up with something less sucky and ghey looking. Until games stop running on XP, thats what I'll use. Seeing how things are going, I'm safe for a while. I don't mind this DX50 and grafix n other bs.

ya, until they get dedicated servers for windows 7, i'm sticking with XP :rolleyes: windows 7 has gotten rave reviews from pretty much everyone.

stop disagreeing with everyone just to get a reaction... it's getting old

i dont know what it is about xp but i just feel like its bogged down.. even when compared to vista.. i always thought vista was way faster on my computer.. and windows 7 is way better than both of them, windows 7 has less crap than vista.. if you get professional or higher.. technically you shouldn't have to worry about compatibility cause windows 7 professional and higher offers windows xp compatibility mode.. windows xp is like 10 years old.. its dated software. id say get the the professional version of windows 7 if youre worried about older games

Well your correct in that. when you have a well up to date pc with 2 or more gigs of ram XP sort of becomes sluggish especially compared to vista/windows 7. For me games take longer to boot and just random freeze frames even when my fps seemed high. Getting around XP just doing little things all are worse then vista for me. XP does not utilize your system memory and will always display large amounts of free space. That free space sounds good but its really memory that isnt being used at all or utilized. The more ram you have in XP the more free space that is wasted most of the time. If the ram isnt caching and is dormant (or free) then everything resides on your much slower HD and it must be used more often.

Out of my 3.326 gigs of usable system ram vista Task manager only shows 22MB free while its cached 2385mb. In XP my memory usage is displayed with over 2gigs free unused, wasting energy and ram. In XP the free space is waiting for a purpose while vista puts it to use. This is leftover from the fact when XP first came out it was common for systems to have 64mb and 128mb. It doesnt manage lots of memory well and thats not ever gonna change. Another plus with vista and 7 is it should utilized multicores better as i have heard but cannot vouch. Vista has always appeared smoother and more swift every since the first time i got 2gigs of ram. I have since search into reasons why.

As i said above, if you have a modern system your experience will be better if you upgraded. XP doesnt utilizes your systems potential.

Windows 7 is a lot of hype, it works very well and the gui is awesome. But underneath the hype 7 and vista now a days are more similar then you are lead to believe. there are article like this which glorify 7 saying it manages games better. But there are just as many saying something else completely on the exact same game. They are actually a lot more in common but thats not so bad. Vista now a days is very solid. Its hyped so much in the opposite direction and it is so surprising because they really are very closely related. If you really look closely from many sources you will see a trend in the benchmarks that reflect they are much alike but windows 7 is superior as it is improved over its predecessor. This isnt to deter you, windows 7 will surprise you with its ability to utilize ram in caching your common activities. It is a step up, a huge one.

As i said above, if you have a modern system your experience will be better if you upgraded. XP doesnt utilizes your systems potential.

:withstupid:

I'd have to agree I see little reason to stick with XP or Vista if you have the opportunity to upgrade to W7.