How efficient is Windows 7?

sack_patrol

I was just wondering about the new Win 7. Is it a big deal, and is it worth updating to it? I mean except the better DirectX. Is it faster than XP? Does it require a lot of ram? Does it have lots of problems like Vista. I know XP has 0 problems. Is Win 7 customizable like XP for maximum performance? Will Fallout 1 2 and Tactics run on it along with other old games? :lol: Are there any striped versions that are already optimized and well...striped of access programs?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so efficient, you'll never double post again :D

Seriously though, it uses less resources than Vista and most PCs that can run XP can run 7. I would recommend a MINIMUM of 1GB RAM. I wouldn't say XP has 0 problems, but if you liked XP and hated vista, I still think you'll like 7. (I basically went from XP to 7, skipping right over Vista)

You can customize 7 just fine, and the compatibility mode is pretty damn good at running older programs.

Edited by pezcore

It's so efficient, you'll never double post again :D

I got some kind of lag or something and couldn't post my topic or exit the posting thing for some reason. I asked Bosco if he could delete 1.

Anyways, thx for the reply...I'll see what the others have to say too and maybe I'll change to Win 7 if I feel like it. (I just reinstalled my XP because of some modifications...now if I have to do it again X_x)

Edited by ballist1x

Yeah I know how you feel, I stuck with XP for as long as I could (even x64 just to avoid Vista when I got a Quad Core) and eventually got into the early betas of 7 (even then I knew it was better, and less painful, than Vista)

You can always partition your drive, download it and run it for the 30 day trial to see if you like it (pretty sure that'd be legal)

I even have an unused LEGIT DVD & key for x64 Professional if you're interested :)

Edited by pezcore

I also skipped over vista, and started using windows 7 during the beta, and I have to say it has been a great experience for me. I can't remember one time where I wished that I was using XP again. It might take a few days to get use to, but Windows 7 is just very very good.

It isn't faster than XP, but it is approximately the same performance wise. XP is faster in some things, and 7 is faster in others. In the real world I doubt that you would see much of a difference speed wise. Ram usage is also very good, with my computer it uses ~1GB at boot, however on my sisters computer (2GB of ram) it only uses ~512MB. So, it will adapt to how much ram is available. Some people have even run it on systems with as little as 512MB of ram.

i dont know what it is about xp but i just feel like its bogged down.. even when compared to vista.. i always thought vista was way faster on my computer.. and windows 7 is way better than both of them, windows 7 has less crap than vista.. if you get professional or higher.. technically you shouldn't have to worry about compatibility cause windows 7 professional and higher offers windows xp compatibility mode.. windows xp is like 10 years old.. its dated software. id say get the the professional version of windows 7 if youre worried about older games

Edited by actionstan

Basically it's Home Premium if you want to keep it cheap, and Ultimate if you want the XP compatability mode (which isn't worth it for the price).

Performance-wise XP<Win7<Vista. Basically Microsoft took a lot of the crap out of Vista and kept some of the better features.

went from xp > vista > 7 , and i can say its worth the upgrade... even going from xp to vista was good for me , now i cant stand the site of XP.

think of windows 7 as a fusion of Xp+Vista , the good parts.

i dont know what it is about xp but i just feel like its bogged down.. even when compared to vista.. i always thought vista was way faster on my computer.. and windows 7 is way better than both of them, windows 7 has less crap than vista.. if you get professional or higher.. technically you shouldn't have to worry about compatibility cause windows 7 professional and higher offers windows xp compatibility mode.. windows xp is like 10 years old.. its dated software. id say get the the professional version of windows 7 if youre worried about older games

Yeah, I don't know why everyone loves XP so much...

Anyways, as for the "XP mode" in Win 7, it's only really good for applications. It's not made to render games all that much (not that I've tried gaming on it, I'm just going by what MS says).

"Compatibility Mode" seems to work for some games. When you get really old, you may have some issues still. Diablo 2 won't do colors properly for me, and I've tried every fix I can find. Starcraft also.

If you're ever to run quad-SLI or use 3D-Vision, you'll have to upgrade anyways. Also, if you want to use DX10/11.

Win 7 is much better than XP for a number of reasons. The Start Menu allows you to open it and just start typing in the program you want instead of searching through the "All Programs" to try and find it. As much as people hated UAC, it actually helps those who don't just click on "Allow" or "Continue" every time it pops up. Also, there are transparent security features that are far superior to XP. Looking better than XP also doesn't hurt. :P

I didn't like Vista much, it never ran right for me, or any machine I've worked on. Win 7 seems a lot different.