Sign in to follow this  
jcutter8

Newegg open box build????

Found all my components at newegg and kept my system under $1000. WOOHOO but really wanted to add a 24

"monitor as well. SO i found some components at newegg that were open box deals and saved enough money to add the monitor as well and keep it under $1000. So im asking what do you guys think about the open box deals and are there certain components to stay away from on open box deals. They do have the 30 day return policy for a refund which is ok but just wanted more advice on if i should do it or not. Any bad experiences on open box deals???

Found all my components at newegg and kept my system under $1000. WOOHOO but really wanted to add a 24

"monitor as well. SO i found some components at newegg that were open box deals and saved enough money to add the monitor as well and keep it under $1000. So im asking what do you guys think about the open box deals and are there certain components to stay away from on open box deals. They do have the 30 day return policy for a refund which is ok but just wanted more advice on if i should do it or not. Any bad experiences on open box deals???

do open box items still have their manufacturer's warranty??

do open box items still have their manufacturer's warranty??

They do if you buy them from certified resellers like Newegg. If you bought it off of eBay or similar site, warranty doesn't transfer. Same goes for refurb items, although refurb items have usually only 1 year warranty vs a new or open-box item.

The only open-box items I bought were two WD 320GB hard drives. One of them was fine, but the other one was defected. I simply just created a RMA with WD and they replaced it for me. They didn't care that I bought it open-box, just as long as I had an Invoice from a certified reseller, Newegg.

If you do buy an open-box item, just prepare to test the hell out of it and RMA if necessary.

Edited by Krazyxazn

They do if you buy them from certified resellers like Newegg. If you bought it off of eBay or similar site, warranty doesn't transfer. Same goes for refurb items, although refurb items have usually only 1 year warranty vs a new or open-box item.

The only open-box items I bought were two WD 320GB hard drives. One of them was fine, but the other one was defected. I simply just created a RMA with WD and they replaced it for me. They didn't care that I bought it open-box, just as long as I had an Invoice from a certified reseller, Newegg.

If you do buy an open-box item, just prepare to test the hell out of it and RMA if necessary.

yeah, that's what I figured. And you can still RMA stuff from ebay, I've never had any issues. Especially with harddrives, that's where I get all my drives and I've RMA'd both with WD and Seagate with not a hitch

yeah, that's what I figured. And you can still RMA stuff from ebay, I've never had any issues. Especially with harddrives, that's where I get all my drives and I've RMA'd both with WD and Seagate with not a hitch

Yeah as long as the drives aren't OEM they carry their warranty through serial number printed on the drive so hard drives are ok for off ebay....

Yeah as long as the drives aren't OEM they carry their warranty through serial number printed on the drive so hard drives are ok for off ebay....

yeah, I always check before hand that they're the long warranty drive then away I save :thumbs-up:

I wouldn't trust open box HDD's..and if they are defective u'd have to go throu the whole processes of sending it back and what not..and are fairly cheap now a days new..just bought a 1 TB seagate for 87 bucks....any ways just my 2 cents...

I wouldn't really worry to much about hard drives or optical drives, its the motherboards and video cards that I wouldn't really want to buy as open box because you sometimes don't get all the cables and stuff.

I wouldn't really worry to much about hard drives or optical drives, its the motherboards and video cards that I wouldn't really want to buy as open box because you sometimes don't get all the cables and stuff.

though how many unused component or dvi-vga adapters do you need ;)