Is Pc Gaming dying?

Desktop-pro

Might just be your local store. My store still has a PC section. It's probably the biggest section, I've seen of PC games compared to most stores. 1-2 lanes of PC games, then the other lanes are software.

Edited by Krazyxazn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might just be your local store. My store still has a PC section. It's probably the biggest section, I've seen of PC games compared to most stores. 1-2 lanes of PC games, then the other lanes are software.

My local GAME store was like that up until a month ago =| It's sad, PC's stuck to a small section right in the corner, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and even DS games take up the rest of the 4 store walls.

Best Buy is an exception, to an extent. Their inventory is larger in my area than even the local game store and Wal-Mart, so kudos to them I suppose. On the other hand I'm not particularly fond of Best Buy after some ridiculous charges on a credit account my wife and I started with them. We were not informed we would be charged a fee for something we didn't even want and when we tried to cancel were given the run around. It took multiple days to resolve the issue.

Back on topic, yeah, they got some PC games there. :blink:

I would say that there isnt many PC gamers that dont do digital downloads. The PC gaming sections in stores are shrinking but the digital download is ever so quickly increasing. Its the way of the future- and PC is once again leading the way. The physical disc is gonna fade away over time you can bet on that.

I cant see how anyone could be afraid onlive will wipe out PC gaming. Its a great idea and the concept is sound. Just think of all the ppl who will be able to play high graphic games who couldnt. Its great but realistically it could never replace all the PC gaming machines out today. There is no way with the technology today. Every user would have to be rendered and processed on the server side which is possible now but there is a limit to how much can be done. There is no way all the PC gamers could ever be confined to this sort of system by themselves much less along with the new customers they are aiming to sell their microconsole to. WoW has trouble at times with congested servers at not a fraction of the data needed to run an onlive game. And to think that all the PC community will all of a sudden be satisfied with a sub-par gaming experience with server dictated performance and no bragging rights. Even if they would, there is no way that onlive could fill the role, its too vast, too much data. All PC games being processed on the server side is an extremely far fetched dream atm.

But the possibility of what it actually can achieve is exciting. Nvidia for one is behind it 100%. Why would they be if it were to kill PC gaming? Well because its not actually a threat as they see it. Its only a great option for ppl on a tight budget and low end systems with igp. They claim it to be a great option for nearly 50% of the pc market. This 50% was there and can now game more advanced looking and modern games at a higher level then they couldve before. This isnt a loss but a gain as this is a cheap way for ppl who dont want to or cant spend the money.

But it still doesnt compare to what the PC gamers with decent rigs can do. Its a big leap in the wrong direction for them. The sacrifices are many: MAX 1280 X 720 is their HD (ha,ha)!!, Never actually owning the game. No mods. Its not like its a real threat to the current flow of things. Really its a space that wouldnt hurt to be filled. It could actually bring more game titles to the PC. It could take a little steam from the consoles. Its not a bad thing for PC. We all know things are changing in the industry, they do every day. I think the future of the PC is the gaming console. It will be the center entertainment device in the home. It will connect to the TV and be the center music, gaming, social networking, internet, movie player all in one with wireless keyboards, mouse, and controller. We are actually almost there but the industry is a greedy one which makes one believe that having multiple devices that can do the same thing is necessary. That we need a device for each thing and its insane. A blue-ray player is such a waste in the end as the power it takes to decode the movies is massive but used for one thing. This is what drives the consoles away from the PC but in all actuality they are computers in the end. Now a days they are even built from the same parts.

Edited by ocre