Are you happy with your Modern Warfare 2 PC version?

sack_patrol

I'm bored so I though that I needed a new multiplayer game. Only thing that I can think of is Modern Warfare 2...there really isn't anything else right now. I finished the Single Player Camp and...I guess it's not that much different from COD4. I don't know how the MP is though which is the whole point. Now I've been reading and hearing bad stuff about this game and the major problems are the dedicated servers and the price. But, is it really THAT bad? Why would I want to get it instead of COD4. COD4 has dedicated servers and it's much cheaper. I really don't know what to do. Do u guys think mw2 is worth it? I'm not sure if I were to go with COD4 what would happen...since it's a bit old and everyone is playing the new game etc...maybe it will be deserted...i dunno.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, from a casual gamer's point of view, the registry problems caused by the P2P networking are barely noticeable. If you're a seasoned player, you're going to notice it, but it's not that hard to get used to.

Well, from a casual gamer's point of view, the registry problems caused by the P2P networking are barely noticeable. If you're a seasoned player, you're going to notice it, but it's not that hard to get used to.

Damn. We certainly can't have that.

How about the the server size. Does it get laggy when more than 8 people are playing at once in a server? And is there any chance that infinity ward noobs will put some dedicated servers or it's a done deal?

I also thought about about the idea that somebody would feel generous enough to run a server and has a good internet connection so it's kind of a simulation of a normal server of some sort...anything like that?

Edited by ballist1x

There is no such thing as a server in this game, it's peer to peer, a group of people go into the lobby and start the game and the game chooses the person with the best internet connection to host the game. I have heard about people hacking it and playing it on servers but as I don't own the game I haven't looked into it myself.

Who the hell though this would be a good idea? Are they not seeing how adding the freakin servers would double the sales for the game on PC. I really don't know wut to do. If it did have dedicated servers I can tell you know that I'd go buy it.

Edited by ballist1x

As far as I've seen there won't be any dedicated servers announcements anytime soon (only time will tell). However there may be mod kit coming sometime.

From what I can tell from my experiences with the PC and PS3 versions is that there is rarely any lag in games. If you do run into lag it will be maybe a few seconds out of 10+ games. I've played up to the max 18 player servers with rarely any issues with lag. I own the PS3 version and played the PC ( played multiplayer for 1 week ) and I can tell you, aren't going to notice any difference from a dedicated server to a P2P server, if the connection is good.

The only real issue is since they are P2P servers. If the host leaves the game is paused for everyone, while the system runs quick tests to find a new host of out the group of players. Sometimes it can't find the right host and the server shut downs the game and no one gets the match bonus at the end of the map. However your score is still counted, but you don't get the ending game match bonus. Once again this only happens like 1 out of 10+ games.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Thanks for the feedback. Though I'm still really...not sure. I'd really like to play something new. I haven't yet played multiplayer in a game like COD. which is very different from CSS. I know bad company 2 is coming out in 2010 but I don't know if it's going to be as good...and I wanna squeeze some money for the holidays from my mom so waiting till BC2 comes out might be too late. XD

Then another question: Do you think that right now it's better to get cod6 or cod4? I mean is it going to be a better deal considering both games if I went with cod4? Or would cod6 be more my moneys worth?

Edited by ballist1x

Thanks for the feedback. Though I'm still really...not sure. I'd really like to play something new. I haven't yet played multiplayer in a game like COD. which is very different from CSS. I know bad company 2 is coming out in 2010 but I don't know if it's going to be as good...and I wanna squeeze some money for the holidays from my mom so waiting till BC2 comes out might be too late. XD

Then another question: Do you think that right now it's better to get cod6 or cod4? I mean is it going to be a better deal considering both games if I went with cod4? Or would cod6 be more my moneys worth?

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. A lot of players are now playing the new game but a lot of people still traffic through COD4. I played COD4 for a good while before the release of MW2 and I like both. No dedicated servers is definitely a flaw for MW2 but the gameplay is still enjoyable IF the host's connection is good. I sure miss playing 32vs32 on a server but I got over it.

Now if your considering to play it competitively, go with COD4 as its much easier to get everything organized and have rules on the servers and stuff. Sometimes when I play with my clan in TDM (team deathmatch) in MW2, and theres 6 of us in a party sometimes one of us gets shifted to the other team for some odd reason... But if you just want to play for fun either choice is fine.

Personally i like COD4 better :closedeyes: but I have been playing MW2 more because I am trying to unlock my titles and emblems.

As for BBC2 it looks very promising and I can not wait for that game. :rolleyes:

Excellent. Thank you. I guess I'll go with cod4 then. There should be a lot of people still playing it rite? Actually I'll check in Gametracker.com Thats where all the dedicated servers are.

But thanks again.

EDIT: I watched some vids on youtube of ppl playing the game on the PC and it really doesn't seem so bad. I'll see if I can get $50 more from my mom. haha

Edited by ballist1x

Guest ajmatson
Generally, yes im happy with MW2 MP, but it has loads of flaws.

I think COD4 MP was a way better surprise when it was released.

I have to agree. However, I do like a lot of the changes like the bling perk and the kill/death streak rewards.

ballist1x,

how about Call of Duty World at War? it's a very nicely refined FPS and most of the maps aren't anywhere near as constrictive as those on COD 4. I can't speak for MW2 - it is on my list of PC games I want but am having a hard time justifying $59.99 for it.

i can tell you that there is still plenty of MP gaming action going on in both COD4 and COD World at War so you won't have any trouble finding populated servers.

i love going back to some old school COD4 once in a while, but for me the game play, map designs and number of available servers makes COD World at War my game of choice in that series right now.

Do you play UT3 Black, L4D or L4D2 or anything else?