Memory Divider?

I have an Asus m4a77td board.

and I've been trying to OC it. but I can't find the memory divider for it.

So when I up the CPU freq it ups the dram freq.....

and I only have 4 options for dram which are 800,1066,1333,1800 (i think)

but each time they go up with my cpu freq, and I can't figure out how to unlink them or bring them back to stock speed (1333 for me)

any ideas? of where this might be, i looked all in the bios options.

amd athlon II x2 btw

The 800, 1066, 1333, & 1800 settings are your memory dividers. They're based on the stock 200 mgz base clock (FSB).

So, your 800 setting is a 2:1 divider... 200 mhz * 2 = 400 mhz, but since your memory is double data rate, it is acessed as if it was operating at 800.

1066 setting is a 2.666:1 divider.

1333 is a 3.333:1 divider and

1800 is a 4:1 divider

because your oc'ing by increasing your FSB it also applies your memory. What you want to do is set your mem divider low enough so that as you increase your FSB and oc your processor you don't run your memory beyond it's limits.

with your 1333 memory, if you set your memory to run at the 1066 divider and bump your FSB up to 250mhz your mem will then be operating 1333.

Stock: 200 (FSB) * 3.333 (1333 setting) = 666.2 mhz * 2 (double data rate) = 1333 mhz

Overclock: 250 (FSB) * 2.666 (1066 Setting) = 666.5 mhz * 2 (double data rate) = 1333 mhz

Hope this example helps.

Edit This post should have been placed in the overclocking section.

Edited by Scottike

The 800, 1066, 1333, & 1800 settings are your memory dividers. They're based on the stock 200 mgz base clock (FSB).

So, your 800 setting is a 2:1 divider... 200 mhz * 2 = 400 mhz, but since your memory is double data rate, it is acessed as if it was operating at 800.

because your oc'ing by increasing your FSB it also applies your memory. What you want to do is set your mem divider low enough so that as you increase your FSB and oc your processor you don't run your memory beyond it's limits.

with your 1333 memory, if you set your memory to run at the 1066 divider and bump your FSB up to 250mhz your mem will then be operating 1333.

Stock: 200 (FSB) * 3.333 (1333 setting) = 666.2 mhz * 2 (double data rate) = 1333 mhz

Overclock: 250 (FSB) * 2.666 (1066 Setting) = 666.5 mhz * 2 (double data rate) = 1333 mhz

Hope this example helps

whoa, very nicely done scottike, good answer...!!

Hope this example helps.

Edit This post should have been placed in the overclocking section.

Oh Ok i think I understand, so what your saying is that I should place my divider one step lower (to the 1066 one) then set my CPU freq at 240-250 to make my ram run at 1333. and then my new ghz would be something like 3.4 or something?

I tried that before and it worked.....but I thought it would mess with the memory or something.

anyways thanks a ton.

hope my regor can run at 3.4ghz <_<

edit:wow 3.6ghz....doesn't that seem too high. it's running idle right now at 36c.

anyways here is my oc.....i mean does the memory look right? I put it at 1066 and when I put the CPU freq at 250 it went to 1333 like you said? hopefully it'll be stable.

CPU.png

mem.png

edit2: welp it crashed on prime95 after like 5 mins lol at 3.65 ghz :(. wonder what im supposed to do now? just maybe lower the multiplier.....or

Edited by CoolMaster

edit2: welp it crashed on prime95 after like 5 mins lol at 3.65 ghz :(. wonder what im supposed to do now? just maybe lower the multiplier.....or

yes technically you would drop your clock and retest and if stable then increase fsb "a little at a time" and then retest each time you increase. then when you hit the wall it will be time to increase the vcore "a little at a time" and retest again each time....i find that the closer i am to a 1:1 ratio the easier time i have.

B:) my disclaimer: i am not an amd guy so i don't know the tcase and tjmax and vcore limits for your cpu, therefore it is up to you to do the research on your processor prior to overclocking so that you don't overshoot the mark and do irreversible damage to your system/cpu. it is not my place to lecture anyone but stable overclocks take time and patience and rushing the process is asking for trouble. for instance jumping to 3.6 before testing a 3.4 etc. really isn't recommended, if you catch my drift. by all means have fun with it and get to know your hardware...!!

yes technically you would drop your clock and retest and if stable then increase fsb "a little at a time" and then retest each time you increase. then when you hit the wall it will be time to increase the vcore "a little at a time" and retest again each time....i find that the closer i am to a 1:1 ratio the easier time i have.

B:) my disclaimer: i am not an amd guy so i don't know the tcase and tjmax and vcore limits for your cpu, therefore it is up to you to do the research on your processor prior to overclocking so that you don't overshoot the mark and do irreversible damage to your system/cpu. it is not my place to lecture anyone but stable overclocks take time and patience and rushing the process is asking for trouble. for instance jumping to 3.6 before testing a 3.4 etc. really isn't recommended, if you catch my drift. by all means have fun with it and get to know your hardware...!!

When u say overshoot your mark and do irreversible damage im assuming u mean the vcore? because I didnt change that

Im assuming upping the vcore too much is the stuff that will damage ur cpu, just changing Freq and multipliers can't really damage it can it?

i mean the temp was the same it just wasn't stable thats all

Edited by CoolMaster

When u say overshoot your mark and do irreversible damage im assuming u mean the vcore? because I didnt change that

Im assuming upping the vcore too much is the stuff that will damage ur cpu, just changing Freq and multipliers can't really damage it can it?

i mean the temp was the same it just wasn't stable thats all

yes, in a nutshell, excessive heat resulting from increased voltage and frequency is your enemy.

but me upping the cpu freq and multiplier wont really damage it right?

correct...! up to a point. your 2.9ghz cpu will probably work just fine on stock voltage and settings up to a point. you said it's no longer stable at 3.6+ghz at stock settings so you've surpassed that point already. It's not damaging the machine it's just not stable...which means going back to what "IS" stable and incrementally increasing and testing from there...that's the process of overclocking...

by increasing and testing gradually you'll eventually find the performance limits of your hardware.

i'm curious how you're cooling your cpu...? i don't see it in your sig specs...

kwik edit; are you using core temps to check you temps...?

Ya Im using core temps with everest ultimate. it's saying at idle it's at 29c.

but i only have a stock cooler :(

But see my problem is......Like since 3.6ghz didn't work. but theirs only 2 cpu frequencys where my dram speed will stay at 1333 (200 on 1333 or 250 on 1066 will put it at 1333)

So do I just maybe change the multiplier?

Ya Im using core temps with everest ultimate. it's saying at idle it's at 29c.

but i only have a stock cooler :(

But see my problem is......Like since 3.6ghz didn't work. but theirs only 2 cpu frequencys where my dram speed will stay at 1333 (200 on 1333 or 250 on 1066 will put it at 1333)

So do I just maybe change the multiplier?

i'm guessing based on my experiences with intel that once you stabilize the ram you can then raise the multi, so yes.