painting a 932 HAF inside

Isn't the inside galvanised? Normal spray paint don't adhere very well to galvanised metal.

I painted my Antec 300 black on the indside, which is also galvanised, with normal spray paint.

I can chip the paint with my fingernail.

I agree with boinker, maybe the best would be to powdercoat it. It would look alot better anyway.

I wish I powdercoated mine. . .

you're kidding?! jebus I nearly clicked BUY paint. if it wont adhere, then all bets are off. powder coating is a bit over my head - I wont do that...

p.s. but what if I use a primer before coating with the actual paint? will that work?

p.p.s. IF the painting process would actually work (hypothetical), using metal paint for engines, would the conductivity (grounding) of the case go in the toilet? is that even a factor?

this is the paint http://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=146

Edited by Crawlerz246

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As previously stated you do not need high temp paint your wasting money, buy some 400 grit sand paper some self etching primer and a can or 2 of Krylon in whatever color you want. You can paint almost anything if you prep it right.

Edited by slick2500

IF the painting process would actually work (hypothetical), using metal paint for engines, would the conductivity (grounding) of the case go in the toilet? is that even a factor?

Dude, always use primer, always. Use a fine grit sand paper to scuff it before and after priming (paint and primer don't like sticking for smooth surfaces) and take your time. Seriously, 30 minutes of prep work for every 2 minutes of actual painting. That's what I do no matter what I am painting (except for houses and crap).

I can NOT recomend you use high heat paint of any kind. Sure it will stick and last but it is not meant to be pretty and no way can a computer get hot enough to justify it, do you think cars don't get hot in the sun?

I recommend calling a body shop and asking them to borrow their paint booth and maybe get a few ounces of paint in ANY color you could think of for a low price because you need so little. You would be surprised how acomadating these places can be, they might even teach you how to properly run a paint gun. They can usually mix any color you want for a few bucks or might have some left over from a car they did (almost never use every last drop of paint). Through on a touch of clear coat and you got a beauty.

You might be surprised at the colors they have just lying around. I had them mix up some Viper Red for my vette when I had it painted and they gave me like 5 ounces for touch up paint.

Don't be afraid to do this right.

Edit: I see just want if black make sure to still be careful, the is a reason black used to only be put on the most perfect cars from the assembly line, black will show every imperfection. If the time and effort is going to into this why not make something exceptional?

Edited by gabrieltessin

yesterday I told my day "here," I say, "I bought a PC for myself. if you want I'll give you the old tower. here's my case - the sweet HAF 932. oh btw I'm gonna paint it black insade," I say. to which he says "well, that's all fine and good, BUT HOW ARE YOU GOIN TO GET RID OF STATIC ELECTRICITY BUILDUP INSIDE THE CASE if it wont conduct as well?"

this time he single-handedly managed to put a damn crink in my plan, and (besides vomiting in terror) .... well I got upset. that sort of makes sense what he said, but I cannot just accept it, without talking to people who know this stuff...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!! community!

yesterday I told my day "here," I say, "I bought a PC for myself. if you want I'll give you the old tower. here's my case - the sweet HAF 932. oh btw I'm gonna paint it black insade," I say. to which he says "well, that's all fine and good, BUT HOW ARE YOU GOIN TO GET RID OF STATIC ELECTRICITY BUILDUP INSIDE THE CASE if it wont conduct as well?"

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!! community!

He does know that when your pc is plugged in the the wall it is pretty well grounded. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He does know that when your pc is plugged in the the wall it is pretty well grounded. Correct me if I'm wrong.

of course IT IS grounded BUT I'm thinkin' that for the grounding to work the mobo must have contact with the case (I'm thinking of painting and leaving small points of contact for the mobo WITHOUT THE PAINT). even then... is the paint not going to be a hinderance?

of course IT IS grounded BUT I'm thinkin' that for the grounding to work the mobo must have contact with the case (I'm thinking of painting and leaving small points of contact for the mobo WITHOUT THE PAINT). even then... is the paint not going to be a hinderance?

Your motherboard is attached with screws to the case, grounded by that gigantic 24 pin wire and a 4 pin wire... its grounded. Many cases come painted and I have never heard of the issue you are talking about.

Your motherboard is attached with screws to the case, grounded by that gigantic 24 pin wire and a 4 pin wire... its grounded. Many cases come painted and I have never heard of the issue you are talking about.

I see. ty kindly - that is exactly the answer I needed.

one last question: say I get the Krylon Flat Black (and lets say I get the temperature resistent one, i.e. the one for "radiators" http://www.krylon.com/products/high_heat_radiator_paints/ ) what primer should I use if any? also a Krylon primer? should the primer also be black?

ty for putting up with my paranoia... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

edit: I can't really find a Krylon paint outlet. could you help with a good paint alternative that can be found? is this a good alternative http://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=146 ? is primer needed?

Edited by Crawlerz246

Why are you so insistent on using engine enamel? Just a normal flat black can of Krylon multi surface paint and some self etching primer will suffice. Just go to your local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware or Menards they carry lots of spray paint.

Edited by slick2500