BlueRay

Azash

So a while ago Playstation 2 started putting games onto DVDs instead of CDs and now Playstation 3 is putting some games onto BlueRay. I was wondering if anyone here thought that PC game makers would eventually switch to BlueRay discs? Or do you think they'll just stick with mulit-CD or DVD installs? I mean I can't really see it, but people do things like that to make money all the time.

Soon? Probably not, once it's a standard that everyone goes with, more than likely yes. Think about it from floppy discs to CD's. CD's to DVD's. It's the new standard and once it catches on and is cheap enough to develop, it will happen.

Although, I think thumb drives and faster access USB would be better.

Soon? Probably not, once it's a standard that everyone goes with, more than likely yes. Think about it from floppy discs to CD's. CD's to DVD's. It's the new standard and once it catches on and is cheap enough to develop, it will happen.

Although, I think thumb drives and faster access USB would be better.

Yeah, but the flashdrives cost more to make so i dont think that will ever happen. i do agree though. i'm making a new rig and was wondering if a blueray was worth it but i suppose by the time it is the standard the drives will drop in price so im not gonna worry about it. and im not too sure about ps3 overclocker16, i havent felt the need to invest in one, but all blueray does sound right

no not till they become less expensive. Right now a cd/dvd drive comes with most if not all pcs and the drives them selves are like $20. The disks are cheep also. Blue ray drives are expensive and so are the disks and don't come already with the computer.

Yeah, but the flashdrives cost more to make so i dont think that will ever happen. i do agree though. i'm making a new rig and was wondering if a blueray was worth it but i suppose by the time it is the standard the drives will drop in price so im not gonna worry about it. and im not too sure about ps3 overclocker16, i havent felt the need to invest in one, but all blueray does sound right

Right. Some people feel the need to have something stored on a disc and being able to fit 25gb/50gb on a single disc, that's easier then buying a portable hdd, plus having the capability to rip all those new hi def movies and put them on your external drive and have it on your home network is also nice.

As with the PS3, depends what you like to do. I live on base in a dorm. Work 8+ hours per day, some days over 12 to 14, thus having little time to go off base and do something else, so console gaming is awesome. Especially when a lot of the guys at work are on them as well, so it depends what you need.

I haven't personally used the dvd/blu ray part of it, just the networking and console gaming part, and for that, it was worth it.

For now no. It's still cheaper to put out games on DvDs than Blu-Ray discs. Last time I checked a single Blu-Ray disc runs around $12-15. You could buy a pack of DvD Dual Layers for that much.

The combination of Dual Layer DvDs + compression and downloadable content will keep PC gamers off the Blu-Ray discs for awhile.

If Kojima or Square Enix released MGS 4 or FF 13 on the PC, you might see a game with multiple DvD DLs, but until then one is usually enough.

Edited by Krazyxazn

The only reason I have a bluray drive in my computer is because the DVD drive in it died on me, so why not upgrade instead of just replace?

I'd say several years away. There just isn't a need for them yet. The PS3 probably only uses them to push the format and maybe for the faster read rate.

For now no. It's still cheaper to put out games on DvDs than Blu-Ray discs. Last time I checked a single Blu-Ray disc runs around $12-15. You could buy a pack of DvD Dual Layers for that much.

The combination of Dual Layer DvDs + compression and downloadable content will keep PC gamers off the Blu-Ray discs for awhile.

You haven't looked at the price lately then. It's around 5~10 bucks for a single blu ray disc. 50~60 bucks for a 10 pack. So that's not a bad price.

As far as blu ray burners go. They are the EXACT same price as when DVD burners first came out. So, like I said before, it's adopting to a new standard. It takes time, but it WILL happen. Be it blu ray exactly, or an offset thereof. But the next generation of discs is coming.

Guest_Jim_* also due to the fact that there is a ton of information on those discs. They try and fit a lot of stuff on those since there is room. The game itself may only take 10gb, but then they add videos and clips and whatnot. Plus to make everything 1920x1080 as well as other formats for those without HDTV's. They stuff the discs. So yes, there is a reason.

Edited by Overclocker16

1. BLU-Ray

2. All PS3 games are on BD Rom

3. PC games will not be on blu-ray discs until a majority of PCs have blu-ray drives in them, which will not happen. Look how many things you can just download now.

Edited by pezcore

1. BLU-Ray

2. All PS3 games are on BD Rom

3. PC games will not be on blu-ray discs until a majority of PCs have blu-ray drives in them, which will not happen. Look how many things you can just download now.

You can and have been able to for quite some time be able to download DVD's. And look at how many computers have DVD rom/burners in them. Pretty much all of them if they have been bought within the last 5 years pretty much. So, saying it will not happen is a little quick on the gun isn't it?

Sorry to correct you pezcore, but actually just the 'B' and 'R' are capitalized (at least that's how it is on the Blu-Ray movies I have).

Don't forget also that PC game manufactures probably have contracts for publishing the discs, or do so in house, and completely redoing the assembly line from DVD to Blu-Ray costs money (one of the reasons HD-DVD looked good to manufactures, it used the same hardware as DVD's in the manufacturing process, just different stamps).

Downloadable content can't hold off Blu-Ray indefinitely, because the average US download rate is too low. It would take just over 7 hours to download 25GB at a constant 8Mb/s (so 1MB/s). How often does one have a constant connection speed for more than an hour? How willing are most people to wait seven hours, without using the internet, lest it take longer.