Cracking Legal Games?

Nadger

I find nothing wrong with this IMO.

It's the same thing as ripping your CD's to MP3 or ripping your movies to your HTPC. It's YOUR content and you can do pretty much whatever you want with it in the privacy of your own home.

:withstupid: I don't crack all my games, but I have done so on occasion. The only noCD crack I have currently is on my laptop for Starcraft...but that actually came officially from Blizzard :)

Yeah my only fear with steam is if 15 years from now I want to go back and play the copy of Dawn of War II i bought on steam, i wont be able to. Where as if i have a retail copy I can always install it again and punch in the cd key and put in the dvd to play. I fear that if valve somehow dies out my entire steam library of games will die with it.

Some steam games let you right click on them and "view cd key" so at least that way I can retrieve my key and maybe use it to play again way down the road if steam is dead. However many dont have the view cd key option.

Has Valve actually made any official statement on future proofing steam?

Yes, they have. They stated that if god forbid they ever shut down, they will provide advanced notice and allow everyone to backup all their games for non-Steam use.

Some developers are awesome enough where a newer patch automatically cracks it so you don't need the CD/DVD anymore :).

But I crack all my physical games, naturally steam don't hafta (but sometimes do anyway, just so I don't have to have steam running :P)

Supreme Commander :lol: wouldn't even work with the cd until you got the newest patch, which worked without the CD.

I don't do it because I remember it caused problems with my SC, I couldn't play online anymore. But it is a nice feature if the game maker includes it.(CoH works if the internet is working)

Supreme Commander :lol: wouldn't even work with the cd until you got the newest patch, which worked without the CD.

I don't do it because I remember it caused problems with my SC, I couldn't play online anymore. But it is a nice feature if the game maker includes it.(CoH works if the internet is working)

hmm I've never played my Supreme Commander online so I'd never have known that :D

No but being collectively sued by thousands of people if they did something bad is reason enough for them to pretty much NEVER do wrong...

:lol:

so you are gonna sue a company when it has completely shut its doors due to going belly up or something.

no point beating a dead horse,, if they go broke you can sure as heck try to sue them but if they have zero dollars then when you win your lawsuit you will get zero dollars