Sign in to follow this  
Nadger

Cracking Legal Games?

Now days I try to buy all my games on steam so i never have to find the DVD and insert it in the drive to play. Thats too console like, and I am much to lazy for that. However sometimes i buy games from gogamer.com because their 48 hour madness deals are always really good prices. So with the games I buy from them, I am stuck looking for the DVD to put it in my drive so i can launch the game. Though recently Ive started finding cracks for these games(very carefully, lots of viruses pose as cracks) even though I own a legal copy.

I was just wondering if anyone else does this, and what your thoughts are on the matter. Do you find it morally objectionable, or what is your stance of the ethics of it. Also what are your general thoughts on the whole matter?

I personally find it quite ironic have to use pirate methods to get around something thats designed to stop pirates, when I actually own legal copies of the games...

Your thoughts?

Regardless of the EULA I see it as a means to access something that you own in a less restricted manner.

Until someone knocks on my door and tells me not to I will continue to crack the games that I have bought.

If I ave already downloaded/installed the game onto MY and there is nothing else on the disc that needs to be loaded during gameplay then I find a hack.

:withstupid:

All my Games bar 2 or 3 are Retail, bought from GAME. The first thing i usually do is go online and Google arround for a NOCD/DVD crack and then im a happy bunny because i wont end up scratching my disks (which i like to keep in prestine condition :P ) I do'nt thinks its immoral in the slightest, because i've bought the game afterall! :)

Edited by SenitaL

I find nothing wrong with this IMO.

It's the same thing as ripping your CD's to MP3 or ripping your movies to your HTPC. It's YOUR content and you can do pretty much whatever you want with it in the privacy of your own home.

Never had to since Steam :D.

:withstupid:

Seriously. I used to use some no-CD stuff, but, now, I don't get any to start with :thumbs-up:

I'm pretty sure that if you OWN that material, you can "back it up" as you wish.

I've been using NOCD cracks for years simply because I don't like having to search for a game disk that I want to play...

GCW is where I get all mine.

Yeah my only fear with steam is if 15 years from now I want to go back and play the copy of Dawn of War II i bought on steam, i wont be able to. Where as if i have a retail copy I can always install it again and punch in the cd key and put in the dvd to play. I fear that if valve somehow dies out my entire steam library of games will die with it.

Some steam games let you right click on them and "view cd key" so at least that way I can retrieve my key and maybe use it to play again way down the road if steam is dead. However many dont have the view cd key option.

Has Valve actually made any official statement on future proofing steam?

Has Valve actually made any official statement on future proofing steam?
No but being collectively sued by thousands of people if they did something bad is reason enough for them to pretty much NEVER do wrong...

:lol:

Lol I'm probably the biggest game pirate here but technically it is legal to use BitTorrents. As for cracking an original game...it's totally OK. Why not? I cracked my Street Fighter 4 so that I wouldn't have to use the DVD every time, and now my games even loads faster. I dunno what the big deal is about piracy n stuff... nobody will come and sue u for using cracks or bittorrent games. IF though u are still afraid, I can assure u that a simple crack to make ur game run without making u use the DVD is nothing! There are far worse things that if ever anyone started to deal with...your little crack is a grain of sand compared to the mountain of "problems". Iz gots teh proofz.

Some developers are awesome enough where a newer patch automatically cracks it so you don't need the CD/DVD anymore :).

But I crack all my physical games, naturally steam don't hafta (but sometimes do anyway, just so I don't have to have steam running :P)