Heatsink Cleaning

I'm well aware of basic maintenance using canned air to keep your hardware clean, but my poor system has suffered at the hands of my family. Dust is caked on enough into the fins of my SI-128 that canned air does nothing. Does anyone know how the best way to deal with super bad dirt and dust issues? I'm thinking of using pipe cleaners, but I'm not sure if that introduces a static risk. Help!

I'm well aware of basic maintenance using canned air to keep your hardware clean, but my poor system has suffered at the hands of my family. Dust is caked on enough into the fins of my SI-128 that canned air does nothing. Does anyone know how the best way to deal with super bad dirt and dust issues? I'm thinking of using pipe cleaners, but I'm not sure if that introduces a static risk. Help!

ArctiClean from Arctic Silver should do the job !

Regards,,,

While I know that's great stuff, I need a safe way to get in between the fins. Sorry, I should have been more specific before.

If you're really in a bind, you can try to find some less toxic coil cleaner stuff that AC guys use. Spray on, rinse off. May require removal of heatsink :ph34r:

I'm a smoker so I'll take the heat sink off every 3 to 4 months and basically give the thing a bath using an industrial cleaner that I get from work (pharmaceutical company) but regular dish washing liquid should do the trick as it in most cases it will cut through grease, oils or whatever.

First I'll shower the the heat sink using the vegetable rinser (or whatever you call those things if you have one that is) with hot water in the kitchen sink. Then I'll let it soak in a mixture of hot water and cleaner for a while then rinse it well... does the job every time and comes out spanking clean.

Hope this helps.

remove both the heatsink and fan/fan shroud and soak only the heatsink it in diesel, remove the excessive dust with soft brush and rinse it of with gasoline...i have a severe dust issue and the dust itself is quite sticky due to heavy smoking in the room heheheh :wacko:

p/s: this is only for severe dust problem and don't worry about the gasoline it will evaporate leaving the sink dry and clean and the fume will go away after a few days

Edited by panjang110

New heatsink is faster. You could try getting one of those thin sharp knifes for cutting paper and other stuff...I don't know what they are called but they are REALLY sharp...I guess it would work with a razer blade. Stick it in between the fins and get rid of most of the dust that way, then just use canned air for the rest. I think it's a bit more practical than diesel and gasoline...I for one don't keep those in my apartment...I don't even have any, and if I did...I wouldn't use them to clean my PC. XD

And another quick thing...

You dont need to worry about putting a static charge into your heatsink when it's off for cleaning.... it's not an electrical component. But holding it, ground yourself out before reinstalling.. it could build up a charge for when you put it back on. If you make sure your constantly grounded you dont have to worry about static to much. I just hold onto the case the whole time basically.

And another quick thing...

You dont need to worry about putting a static charge into your heatsink when it's off for cleaning.... it's not an electrical component. But holding it, ground yourself out before reinstalling.. it could build up a charge for when you put it back on. If you make sure your constantly grounded you dont have to worry about static to much. I just hold onto the case the whole time basically.

or get a static wrist band for 3 bucks. I got one for when I was building my PC though I don't use it that much anymore cuz I think it's not such a big deal...just touch the PSU from time to time.