SAPPHIRE HD 4670 1G GDDR3 Arctic Cooling

mrc1992

hello i just swapped my gigabyte 1gb ddr3 4670 for the SAPPHIRE HD 4670 1G GDDR3 with Arctic Cooling and the reason i swapped it because i couldnt overclock my gigabyte one so now ive gotten this one and want to overclock it core is 750 and mem is 800 but ive overclocked the core to 803 and mem to 900 with rivatuner but i dont noe if i go any higher it might fry my card so could u shed some light on overclocking this card but this card is just a temp solution until the new gtx 360's and 380's come out in 2010

Ok, let me get this straight.

you had a crappy 4670 that you were not happy with because it does not overclock well so you went out and bought another 4670?

/facepalm

your card will not fry if your overclock speed is too high but you will BSOD and not be able to play anything and the computer might restart

I don't believe you can change the voltage on this card but never do that, it can fry your card

now, I'm not quite clear on what you are saying, did you return one card and exchange or do you have two? run them in crossfire if you have two of them for best performance.

oh, and do not mess with the heatsinks and do not put any pastes

Edited by potatochobit

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

agreed, clock each GPU separately for max performance, run them in crossfire, the combination will blow away anything you can get with a single GPU clocked to the moon, and it will be mucho uber stable....as long as your PS is up to the task...

mine do not perform equally on the clockage, but running in crossfire and clocked individually they kick some pretty good booty....

laterzzzz............

the clocks are stable but it idles at 40 and under load 50~55 and i purchased it today should i pull it apart and apply some high end paste like arctic silver 5

55c is low.Mines hits 80-90 depending wether i oc or not.You are well within spec.

ok heres the low down i purchased a gigabyte 1gb ddr3 4670 and installed it in my pc and after a week of .in around with it and tryin to adjust clocks i could get it to 770 on core n mem 850 stable, but i wanted higher clocks so i then took it back to the store and swaped it for a sapphire 1gb GDDR3 4670 ok and i did that today so then i overclocked it to core 800 and mem 900 and thats stable and i just finished pulling off the heatsink and fan and appllied some arctic silver 5 and idle is 38 and under max load 51 so thats 4 degrees cooler. ok i dont have a dual pci-e motherboard so dont tell me to get another card ok anyways what my question was in the first place was if i clock it to high wat will happen, will it freeze, will it fry and overheat or is there any software like temp monitors and other overclocking software im using rivatuner but is there any other ones.

My PC SPECS.

Intel E6300 Pentium Dual Core @ 3.6GHZ

2x 2GB corsair XMS2 5-5-5-15 @1.8v

1GB Sapphire GDDR3 4670

EG41MF-US2H GIGABYTE M/B

COOLERMASTER V8 COOLER

COOLERMASTER HAF 922 CASE

COOLERMASTER 650WATT EXTREME POWER PLUS 2.3V

RUNNING WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64

You could have used the built in Overdrive utility included with the Catalyst Control Center to overclock your card. You could also use ATi tool or you could even find out the max gpu/memory clocks of the cards and then hard flash the settings to the video card BIOS. So there you have at least four methods for overclocking (if you include RivaTuner which you are already using).

As far as temp monitoring goes I use GPUz. Latest release is version 0.3.8 and works on everything from 4XXX series up to the HD5750 I know for sure.

Edited by wevsspot

when you clock too high and play a game or benchmark your computer will freeze and make a stuttering noise DER DER DER DER DER DER

sometimes the screen will change to a single color, red, green, or even go blank.

the computer might hard reboot or sometimes GPU recover automatically and set your clock speeds at stock after a minute.

if you do this too often it is possible to damage the card as well as other more important things in your system.

just a side note, bad memory overclock or bad memory will also freeze up while playing games sometimes and exhibit the stuttering.

well thankyou all for your replies i have the core at 850 and the mem at 1000 ive taken of the arctic cooler that came with it and attached 2 80mm red led fans and its idles at 40 aand under load 50-55 i might take the mem up a little bit but the core wont go any higher. if i do overclock it more or flash mod it i will reply

Im not much into oc'ing gfx cards any more tbh.The gains are too small for a potential disaster.The last card i oc'ed properly was my old xfx 8600gt 256,which i got to 650 core,something like 1500 shader,and 830 mem.It ran like that for months as well with not a single hitch.I think the more powerful card you have,the less gains you see.I havent noticed any gains from my current oc,so i just leave it stock most of the time.I like the buzz i get from a succesfuly huge oc,but the risk aint worth it imo.

"ok heres the low down i purchased a gigabyte 1gb ddr3 4670 and installed it in my pc and after a week of .in around with it and tryin to adjust clocks i could get it to 770 on core n mem 850 stable, but i wanted higher clocks so i then took it back to the store"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

so, your on the buy and try program? sorry, I don't subscribe to that, meh, whatever floats yer boat...

now, if the card was defective and didn't run stock settings, I can understand the exchange, however, no manu guarantees uber clocks....lack of uber clockage seems to be the sole reason you brought it back...

who was the retailer? I want to do business with them before they go out of business....

laterzzzz............

Edited by bldegle2