Amd or Intel???

The EvilAlex

I was planing to get I7-920 with NVIDIA GTX295 but when HD5970 came out I decided to get this instead, so now I have doubts about getting I7-920.

Instead I'm thinking the best CPU from AMD-Phenom IIx4 965, since HD5970 is from AMD also.

So my first question is how much is the difference between I7-920 and Phenom IIx4 965??

And please no stupid posts like "Intel is better then AMD and thats that!"

there is a little difference ..in gaming it can only be seen by benchmarks ..if you can get the i7 go for it , if not 965 is good choice too.

Edited by N.E.A

I have both of those cpu's and I love them both

they overclock very well but i have had an easier time overclocking the phenom. if I were you I would go with the Phenom II 955 and just overclock it a little and you would save some money on your build

I have both of those cpu's and I love them both

they overclock very well but i have had an easier time overclocking the phenom. if I were you I would go with the Phenom II 955 and just overclock it a little and you would save some money on your build

i think that is because of the unlocked multiplier and it is less complicated than i7 .. i am going to disagree with you on the PII , x4 965 the new revision ..

At this point it would be a mistake to go with AMD. While it offers good gaming performance at stock speed, it won't offer the same overclocks as the i7 will (if you feel the need). And everything else is pretty much i7's domain after that.

In the case of the X4, if you decide to go with it, go with an X4 965 BE, the X4 955BE would seem about the same, but the 965 is based on a new revision, that is more stable and more OC friendly.

Edited by Sihastru

Money is no prob, especially if I decide to get AMD, it's allot cheaper then I7 but again it's not an issue. I've been saving money for months so that I could buy a enthusiast build, not to be cheap on my choice.

As I understand they are both quad core but why is I7 better when it has lower GHZ??

Sihastru

What do you mean everything else??

Image processing (Photoshop), archiving (RAR, ZIP etc), 3D rendering (POVRay, 3DS, Cinebench x etc.), video encoding (we're not referring to GPU assisted encoding) anything you can really think of really... while there might be some other obscure app/bench that AMD might bag, in every "real" day to day app/bench the i7 smokes the X4.

When you say money is no object, do you mean you could afford the i7 980X, the 6-core 12-threads EE processor? That would be the current king of the hill in the desktop arena.

Newegg does have a C3 revision 955. I found about it here. I thought this may of interest. I have had balls out performance from my 955 C2 and went back to it after a brief 965 experience. It all worked out, my wife got an upgrade :thumbs-up: and my 955 is still thumping out 3.9ghz 24/7 since I got it back in July. I'd say that's a testament to it's durability as well. I liked my i7 860 and it was a little faster @4ghz (not noticably :rolleyes: ) but there is something about this AMD setup I really like.

Edited by Hedghawg71

Dont claim to have even half the idea than 99% of the ppl on this site,but for me it would be the 920 only cos you have the option to get a i9 in a few mths. Or i'am i wrong?

you're wrong because future proofing is hilarious :lol:

but yeah they DO make a new revised 125W 955 as well, that Hedghawg posted up.

The 920 is a better all around processor but for gaming they both perform equally, the 920's can clock like behemoths if you get the D0 stepping models (though I'm sure the new Phenom II's might be sleepers as well!!)

Basically if you're doing ALOT of encoding or other intense CPU related work get the 920, if not get the 955

oh boy you dont know what you put yourself into when you opened this thread... its like chevy vs ford... ati vs nvidia... its all about proficiencies..... personally i like intel but i say go with your gut instinct and get what your budget allows... if your on a short budget... then get the amd and use the rest of the money for other parts... maybe it will allow you to get a better motherboard.... if you have a higher budget consider an intel... this leaves you room for gulftown.... anyway goodluck with this thread

AMD vs. Intel in gaming, performance wise, there is no winner, but because AMD's pricing is much lower, it's the obvious way to go on a gaming system.

If you're doing more though, Intel all the way.