DJHush

My very first build

Hello everyone, I've been stalking these forums for a little while and thought it was about time I actually posted something. I've always known about overclocking but never took a real interest until lately. Anyway, I think my first post should be about my first build. I've still new to all of this so I would appreciate all feedback and criticism on anything.

Intel Core i7 920

ASUS P6X58D Premium

Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz

POWERCOLOR AX5970

COOLER MASTER HAF 932

Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal

Corsair P128 (CMFSSD-128GBG2​​​D) 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC SSD

OCZ OCZACSSDBRKT2 Solid State Drive 3.5" Adaptor Bracket

AeroCool Touch 2000 Controller, Panel

Enermax Ps Epr625Awt Pro82+ 625W 17Db Atx12V V2.3

Blu-Ray Burner

Internal Card Reader

Internal Floppy Drive (nostalgia)

So anyways, this is currently floating around in my wishlist. I have a feeling that I might have messed up somewhere. I know I left out a cooling option but that is because I still haven't decided whether I want to use air cooling or water cooling. And I know this might sound crazy, but I've never actually BUILT a PC before... although I've taken apart my current pc and put it back together a few times.

Alright, let me have it :unsure:

Welcome to OCC!!!

I also agree that you may want a 750W maybe.

Where do you plan on ordering from??

I'm going to take an educated guess that there will be an equivalent ram kit to the corsairs while being cheaper :P

I'd recommend a different drive for storage, for a 1TB it's as pricey as 1.5TB drives

Rest looks good, also wondering what size monitor you have??

Was planning on getting most of these items from newegg and amazon.

I wasn't sure whether or not to go for the cheaper ram because I was worried that would slow down my system. It was more of a "when in doubt, go big" kinda thing.

Still haven't decided what kind of monitor I want but I know that eventually I would want to set up eyefinity. I read on another forum (dont remember which) that it would be best to get 3 1920X1200 monitors so I've been looking at those.

As for the PSU, there seems to be so many different PSU's out there that it's hard to find the one I really need... especially when I'm not quite sure how many Watts I need in the first place.

Well from my experience, Antec and PC Power & Cooling make some solid PSU's

You're going to want at least a 750W for that 5970, maybe a bit more, just wait for somebody who knows a bit more about new tech to help you with that

As for cooling, air is fine unless you REALLY wanna clock the nuts off that thing, especially in a case like the HAF932.

I'd probably recommend something like this for your storage drive, can't beat the price per GB and the OEM drive doesn't matter since your mobo comes with SATA cables.

Well from my experience, Antec and PC Power & Cooling make some solid PSU's

You're going to want at least a 750W for that 5970, maybe a bit more, just wait for somebody who knows a bit more about new tech to help you with that

As for cooling, air is fine unless you REALLY wanna clock the nuts off that thing, especially in a case like the HAF932.

I'd probably recommend something like this for your storage drive, can't beat the price per GB and the OEM drive doesn't matter since your mobo comes with SATA cables.

Oh you can beat it with this (would be a faster storage drive for the same price), or a bump up to 1.5TB (though it's a 5900RPM so speed would suffer a little, which doesn't matter TOO much in a storage drive, but just in comparison with my 1TB recommendation should be right on with the WD Green)

for the PSU I gotta recommend my baby here It's the cheapest and I'm running all you see in my sig (including my storage 1.5TB Seagate as well :P)

My computer will ASSUREDLY pull more wattage then yours and this PSU can take it like a champ, the 5970 can't possibly pull more wattage than my 4870x2 and 8800GT. :thumbs-up:

I'm not sure what the best cooler for the 920 is but I also recommend high end air, it should take you pretty far if you get lucky with a D0 stepping 920

Here's a nice set of ram for ya, the bigger is better mentality does not apply to memory, as long as it doesn't hold back the CPU's overclocks it is good memory.

Faster memory does negligible real world performance.

Oh you can beat it with this (would be a faster storage drive for the same price), or a bump up to 1.5TB (though it's a 5900RPM so speed would suffer a little, which doesn't matter TOO much in a storage drive, but just in comparison with my 1TB recommendation should be right on with the WD Green)

for the PSU I gotta recommend my baby here It's the cheapest and I'm running all you see in my sig (including my storage 1.5TB Seagate as well :P)

My computer will ASSUREDLY pull more wattage then yours and this PSU can take it like a champ, the 5970 can't possibly pull more wattage than my 4870x2 and 8800GT. :thumbs-up:

I'm not sure what the best cooler for the 920 is but I also recommend high end air, it should take you pretty far if you get lucky with a D0 stepping 920

Here's a nice set of ram for ya, the bigger is better mentality does not apply to memory, as long as it doesn't hold back the CPU's overclocks it is good memory.

Faster memory does negligible real world performance.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I'll look into them.

What are peoples thoughts on getting a AeroCool Touch 2000 Controller Panel? Is it something that I would need or is it just eye candy?

And can anyone suggest a good high end air cooler?

u might wanna get more PSU watts.. like 1K watt or 1.5K.. and i would change that ATI gpu to nvidia.. like gtx 275 or 285.. or latest one.. hehe

I heard the Prolimatech Megahalem coolers are really good at cooling and can beat the corsair H50. It should be enough if u pair it with 2 powerful fans to reach 4ghz on the i7.

And never ever change to nvidia lol.

Edited by iOverclock

u might wanna get more PSU watts.. like 1K watt or 1.5K.. and i would change that ATI gpu to nvidia.. like gtx 275 or 285.. or latest one.. hehe

lol except nvidia's overpriced and underpowered now :rolleyes:

750W is the most one should get for a VERY solid computer. I'm running all that I have listed (plus my 1.5TB storage drive) off my trusty 750W

Do you connect your microwave/dryer to your PSU?

And, yeah, ATI is the better choice right now.

AMD reccommends a 650w PSU. And we all know that ATI/Nvidia overcompensate their requirements. Some people need to stop recommending more then what he really needs. As far as I can tell the one he has picked out will work just fine.