Why don't they give you all the FANS???

As previously stated, a 100 dollar case with no fans seems much more attractive than a 140 dollar case with four fans to the end consumer. Also, this allows the end user more customization: high airflow fans, silent fans, LED fans, etc. without them having to buy new ones to replace the ones they already bought with the case. (subsidized in the cost of the case itself)

As previously stated, a 100 dollar case with no fans seems much more attractive than a 140 dollar case with four fans to the end consumer. Also, this allows the end user more customization: high airflow fans, silent fans, LED fans, etc. without them having to buy new ones to replace the ones they already bought with the case. (subsidized in the cost of the case itself)

::cough Well put, sir, ::cough::

More fans is not always better, my temps with 2 exhaust fans installed are the same as with 2 exhaust and 1 intake fans. Though like andrewr said the real reason is that cost goes up with more fans, just look at the antec 300 illusion $20 more then the antec 300 I bought at frys

Did your illusion come with the side and middle fans? If you are using those fans, how much do they help? I'm looking at the regular 300 and trying to determine if I need extra fans.

Just reread yours...sounds like you got the regular 300. Question still applies though, did you get the extra fans and if so how much did they help?

Edited by Zarak

Does anyone bench mark amounts of fans? I don't think you need much more than one or two, maybe a dedicated fan for your hard drives if your using multiple raid configured drives.

I think Verran's awesome guide about piping is more important, if your piping intake from CPU and GPU, also maybe your ram chips if they are fanned then you only really need one or two case fans, maybe another for multiple raid drives. And that is about the best cooling option you can do without additional more expensive systems.

So incorporating like 4 case fans into a box someone may try to market to me or a do-it-yourselfer would be unappealing.

And people who like to buy prebuilts really don't care that much about case fans they would rather the money go else where more likely.

Did your illusion come with the side and middle fans? If you are using those fans, how much do they help? I'm looking at the regular 300 and trying to determine if I need extra fans.

Just reread yours...sounds like you got the regular 300. Question still applies though, did you get the extra fans and if so how much did they help?

I've never had the illusion version and I sold my 300 but with a front fan installed when I had the 300 the only temp to go down more then a couple degrees was the hard drive. Right now I have a antec mini p180 with the stock fans on low and everything is cool enough.

Edited by xchrissypoox

At the end of the day it depends on your setup. i run a nzxt tempest so 6 fans which is a litle overkill but hey it does drop temps by a few degreas especialy my chipset and hd temps compared to my old case it even drops my cpu, gpu and ram temps by a couple of degreas. All the fans came with the case i just bought a 6 channel fan controller so i can drop the speeds if need be.

<3 Lian Li for customization. I really liked my PC-60FWB. I was able to custom fab my top which is removeable btw... and out fit it with 100CFM in the rear and top whilst having 2 100CFMs in push pull with my TRUE. If I ever get a WC setup the top will also outfit dual 120 rad.

the same reason of for ages how printers don't come with cables, and certain monitors don't have both vga & DVI, its to hopefully incur you to buy more.

most stock fans have almost garbage CFM anyways... ive always ended up buying my own so i dont usually think about it.

Edited by cirro

the same reason of for ages how printers don't come with cables, and certain monitors don't have both vga & DVI, its to hopefully incur you to buy more.

most stock fans have almost garbage CFM anyways... ive always ended up buying my own so i dont usually think about it.

In the case of printers and the cable...

HP forged this a long time ago when they were analysing their RMA's. They discovered that a large percentage of returns were due to faulty printer cables and decided to drop them from the box to reduce the number. Other companies quickly followed suite.