WhenKittensATK

The "I Just Recently Watched Movies/TV Series" Topic

Finished New Girl and Fringe. Started up on the new FX show called The Bridge. I think its on again tonight.

Season 3 of Game of Thrones

The second to last episode flat out pissed me off.  To the point I wanted to give up on the show.  Luckily the last episode redeemed a lot, but I'm still not happy with the writer for that decision.  It made no sense.  It was almost like it was done so it was one less thing to worry about it rather than it making sense for the storyline.

Some insights from a book reader of why it went down and how it fits. The TV Show doesn't even scratch the surface of the detail found in the books.

1. Most noble houses look down on House Frey. They aren't of noble birth and are considered an upstart house. They only gained their status because they built that vital bridge and charged tolls to gain their wealth. Lord Frey got a lot of rejected marriage proposals from offering his daughters to marry several of the older noble houses. He also doesn't commit fully to one side of wars. During Robert's Rebellion his troops arrived to the Trident only after the fighting was over. During Robb's rebellion he made a marriage pact before joining. Even then his forces really didn't fight.

2. Robb Stark is a kin slayer. He beheads Rickard Karstark, who are actually Starks but changed their name long ago. Killing your kin is bad juju.

3. Robb Stark makes little of his promise to marry Lord Frey's daughter. Even more so that he had to send his mother to make the pact, rather than himself.

4. When Robb marries someone else, Walder Frey starts plotting with Roose Bolton and Tywin Lannister. The Boltons don't like the Starks and Tywin is a powerful person. Robb can't refuse to go to Edmure Tully's wedding since he already screwed up. So that sets the trap.

5. House Bolton and House Starks are old rivals. House Bolton's sigil is a flayed man. They love torturing people as you could see from Ramsay Bolton (Bastard of Bolton, Roose's bastard son). The Boltons and the Starks fought each other long ago with the Starks winning. The Starks outlawed flaying, which the Boltons love and secretly resent the Starks while serving them.

6. Tywin is already connected to House Frey, because his sister is married to one of Walder Frey's son. He is also a cunning and ruthless person, who can make assurances to anyone who helps end the rebellion. He also had the upper hand since the dealing was kept secret. All the shame would fall upon House Frey for breaking the old tradition of guest right. Once you invite someone to your home and feed them, neither party can harm each other. Breaking guest right is another bad juju.

Edited by AZNguyen

Are you taking about

the attack during the wedding feast?

if so then I completely disagree. From a storyline stand point it is absolutely fantastic, I love movies and books (seriously, read the books!) and video games that spring the unexpected on you.

When it isn't a cliche

Main characters can NEVER die wheeeeeeee!

...sort of thing then it REALLY elevates the story in my opinion. You literally dont know what to expect from page to page, scene to scene, chapter to chapter etc.

Yah, I was referring to the Red Wedding. 

AZNguyen provided some good reasons.  If you just watch the show, and not read the book, there isn't enough good reasons for it to make sense.   Unpredictable is good but it still has to make sense.   Offing someone just to surprise someone isn't good writing.  Doing while laying clues the whole time before it happens and STILL surprising someone, is good writing.

Found this quote from him regarding the scene.

EW: What sort of reactions have you received from readers over the years about the scene?

Extreme. Both positive and negative. That was the hardest scene I've ever had to write. It's two-thirds of the way through the book, but I skipped over it when I came to it. So the entire book was done and there was still that one chapter left. Then I wrote it. It was like murdering two of your children. I try to make the readers feel they've lived the events of the book. Just as you grieve if a friend is killed, you should grieve if a fictional character is killed. You should care. If somebody dies and you just go get more popcorn, it's a superficial experience isn't it?

In the interview he says he simply does it just to surprise everyone, which to be honest is kind of a lame reply.   The Red Wedding definitely surprised me.  The other events had plenty of advance warning.   Now that I think about it some more I knew something bad was going to happen when AZNguyen's point # 2 happened.   That really didn't set well with me either and the show definitely has a bad karma is paid back feel to it.

Interview

Some insights from a book reader of why it went down and how it fits. The TV Show doesn't even scratch the surface of the detail found in the books.

1. Most noble houses look down on House Frey. They aren't of noble birth and are considered an upstart house. They only gained their status because they built that vital bridge and charged tolls to gain their wealth. Lord Frey got a lot of rejected marriage proposals from offering his daughters to marry several of the older noble houses. He also doesn't commit fully to one side of wars. During Robert's Rebellion his troops arrived to the Trident only after the fighting was over. During Robb's rebellion he made a marriage pact before joining. Even then his forces really didn't fight.

2. Robb Stark is a kin slayer. He beheads Rickard Karstark, who are actually Starks but changed their name long ago. Killing your kin is bad juju.

3. Robb Stark makes little of his promise to marry Lord Frey's daughter. Even more so that he had to send his mother to make the pact, rather than himself.

4. When Robb marries someone else, Walder Frey starts plotting with Roose Bolton and Tywin Lannister. The Boltons don't like the Starks and Tywin is a powerful person. Robb can't refuse to go to Edmure Tully's wedding since he already screwed up. So that sets the trap.

5. House Bolton and House Starks are old rivals. House Bolton's sigil is a flayed man. They love torturing people as you could see from Ramsay Bolton (Bastard of Bolton, Roose's bastard son). The Boltons and the Starks fought each other long ago with the Starks winning. The Starks outlawed flaying, which the Boltons love and secretly resent the Starks while serving them.

6. Tywin is already connected to House Frey, because his sister is married to one of Walder Frey's son. He is also a cunning and ruthless person, who can make assurances to anyone who helps end the rebellion. He also had the upper hand since the dealing was kept secret. All the shame would fall upon House Frey for breaking the old tradition of guest right. Once you invite someone to your home and feed them, neither party can harm each other. Breaking guest right is another bad juju.

Now that is some good insight, thanks for sharing!  It definitely makes more sense.  The show definitely leaves most of that out.   The perspective you get from the show is that the whole reason is Point #3.  

Even though Point #2 is bad and one that didn't sit well with me I saw no reason for Fray to care.  Just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who cares about anyone else but himself.  He doesn't even seem to care about his own family.

Still enjoying the show but that scene really didn't make any sense to me until you wrote this reply.  I probably will have to pick up the books at some point if I'm missing so much detail that is behind these big scenes.

Also saw The Machinist

Great movie!   Christian Bale is so skinny in this movie its crazy.  Heard he lost 70lbs for this role, looks like he lost 100lbs.

When I read the books I actually didn't really care when the red wedding happened, I was actually much more upset when

Ygritte died in Jon's arms.

On another topic I watched Cloud Atlas last night.

That was one of the most panderingly intellectual 'trying too hard' movies I've ever seen.

The premise was interesting but it just fell flat for me.

Man Who Never Was, The (1956)

Downfall (2004) - Couldn't help but smile every time it was on a scene from YouTube videos.

Yi Yi A One And A Two (2000) - Great movie, would recommend.

Argo (2012) - Very good story, loved it.

Defiance (2008) - Awesome war drama.

Hammer of the Gods (2013) - Disappointing

Billy Madison (1995) - Adam Sandler, my favorite comedy actor.

Watching now: Doctor Who, X-Files (started with season 1, what a flashback!). 

Recently watched: (links are to the IMDB so be wary of spoilers)

Avengers (worth watching once) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/?ref_=sr_2

Don't be a menace to the South Central (documentary about life in ghetto) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116126/?ref_=sr_1

Enemy Mine (old but gold)http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089092/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Cannonball Run (comedy about people racing cars and drinking beer) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082136/?ref_=sr_1

Some movies i watched on the random but became my faves, would definitely recommend:

Green Mile  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120689/?ref_=sr_1

In Bruges http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/?ref_=sr_1

Snatch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208092/?ref_=sr_1

Brothers Bloom http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844286/?ref_=sr_1

Charade (the 1963 one) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056923/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Edited by Neebitemnemo

I just watched Sharknado and it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Not even in a good 'lol this is dumb as shit' way? Just terrible?

I started watching Breaking Bad.