Picking classes for first semester of Computer Science (have AA)

WhenKittensATK

You guys think it would be necessary to bring a laptop to CS classes? Specifications are Win 7 compatible, can run code on, and maybe some hd playback (Don't need a gaming laptop). Either a laptop or a netbook, guessing a budget of $400-600. Maybe I could push out to $800. It isn't going to be a desktop replacement, just a little something to use away from home.

I think they are both lecture halls with labs.

I've been dying to see some Tegra aciton, but they plan on releasing those early next year. Also in a dilemma, recent announcements of Tegra 2 (said to be 4x as powerful), Ion 2, and newer Atoms will give netbooks even more power. I really don't think any of these will be on products early next year though. If they still haven't released a single Tegra notebook/netbook yet. Anyone got an estimate consumer release on any of those three new hardwares. They been recently announced so, I don't think they are ready for full production yet.

It doesn't have to be new, I'll settle for used or refurb items. Looking at Dell's outlet right now.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I would defiantly bring a laptop to any of my classes, personally I find most campus computer systems to slow to work with, and I personally use a VPN to keep all my files in one place. As for which one you should buy, thats up to you. I tried programming on a netbook a few times and practically threw it across the room. Iv got the Dell M1210, which is one of the smallest laptops around, and its still decent for gameing :D, or atleast it was when I got it. However one thing I have noticed Iv been doing alot is VMs. A TON of VMs in fact. You may not think so right now but the ability to build multiple systems to test programs that are network intensive really make it easy to troubleshoot issues.

You guys think it would be necessary to bring a laptop to CS classes? Specifications are Win 7 compatible, can run code on, and maybe some hd playback (Don't need a gaming laptop). Either a laptop or a netbook, guessing a budget of $400-600. Maybe I could push out to $800. It isn't going to be a desktop replacement, just a little something to use away from home.

I think they are both lecture halls with labs.

I've been dying to see some Tegra aciton, but they plan on releasing those early next year. Also in a dilemma, recent announcements of Tegra 2 (said to be 4x as powerful), Ion 2, and newer Atoms will give netbooks even more power. I really don't think any of these will be on products early next year though. If they still haven't released a single Tegra notebook/netbook yet. Anyone got an estimate consumer release on any of those three new hardwares. They been recently announced so, I don't think they are ready for full production yet.

It doesn't have to be new, I'll settle for used or refurb items. Looking at Dell's outlet right now.

i'm runnin w7 pro 32 on my rinkydink eeepc 900 but it won't game for dookie...that comes with the territory i guess, but the newer netbooks have alot more juice if that's what ya need to write code and stuff...i am not a netbook fanboy mostly because they're next to impossible to modify but it's true that they do have a have a little niche in the classroom and a person can get by with one for small stuff if it's not to serious of an endeavor...

on a darker note i just bought my books w/webcodes for CIS-1A st my school...$123+ dollars....ouch that makes this an expensive winter session "A" and my sheila's takin it too so that's a double hit...

kwik edit: my lil netty fits neatly into the front pouch of my book bag and i take it everywhere i take the bag, school, work, library, park with grandaughter, wardriving...lol :lol:

@ cjloki

I highly suggest you use http://www.directtextbook.com/ when your buying books. It searches all/most of the major textbook sites and you can find some pretty good deals. UCF hasn't updated their textbook selection for the two classes I'm taking in years ( 1995 and a 2002 ). I got them both for $60 shipped (used or international edition). International editions are practically the same as the US edition, except most of them are paperback and a hell of a lot cheaper brand new.

Edited by Krazyxazn

• 10 years later...