How is AMD doing?

I hear alot of back and forth between CPU enthusiasts but I never really get an unbiased story? How is AMD doing as of right now as a company?

I know they won that lawsuit awhile back, and I know the Phenom II's are nice but still cannot compete with the i7's (I personally own an Athlon II cause it was a great buy)

But from alot of the recent news it seems like alot of people are talking about AMD losing ground very badly.

I know I saw something about 32nm processors coming out soon, but also AMD were working with IBM to make 22nm processors.

So is the company doing good? bad?

can anyone give me some insight into this?

when I look at the wiki entry on them, it seems they have -billion operating income, but positive revenue (sorry I dont know what these things mean)

thanks

Edited by CoolMaster

Intel is raping AMD in the server side of things.

Intel is ahead in consumer computer.

Yeah, I'd say Intel is financially ahead of AMD.

But, ATI is slaughtering Nvidia with tech that isn't even... in stock.

But how do you kill that which has no life? :ph34r:

:lol:

Edited by SenitaL

He said how is AMD doing as a company.

And from the way i read his post, I'm assuming you are asking how they are doing, financially?

He said how is AMD doing as a company.

And from the way i read his post, I'm assuming you are asking how they are doing, financially?

Yea, basically.

like is it even viable to buy AMD is what I mean, people make it sound like they are going out of business

like is it even viable to buy AMD is what I mean, people make it sound like they are going out of business

I doubt they'll go out of business.

Currently their video cards are killer, and they make great little CPU's that aren't to expensive.

Many people will buy an Intel chip just because they think Intel is better. In truth many people could pick up an AMD chip and have more power then they'll need for a while.

AMD have had a mixed year financially but generally positive considering and that's reflected in their share price.

Stock price is as high as it has been all year. Was lowest $1.86 in Jan and now $8.90. Has been steadily on the rise since March so the shareholders should be a bit happier.

They had a lot of money invested in money markets and they probably took a bit of a hit during the financial crises.

They have put a lot of effort into reducing costs with some success.

Spent truck loads on creating global foundaries (timing sucks a bit but nobody really saw things coming)

Have had large costs associated with restructuring.

As far as discrete graphics division goes they are really the only game in town and Nvidia doesn't look even remotely close to catching up yet, and thats probably why they are just renaming everything instead of bringing out new tech.

Their main strategy seems to be to produce in the lower cost segment and their tech is well supported by other vendors. There is as many AMD mobos out there as their ever was and new stuff is coming out all the time. You 'll know when they are in trouble because ASUS and MSO and Gigabyte etc will start to treat them as irrelavant and support them less.

Its all in there stock reports etc for the looking.

In terms of performance or sales numbers? Last I checked AMD was doing pretty nicely in the HPC community and they are making a ton on the low/mid range consumer market.